Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycles with highest power to weight ratios

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Haros, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Tried to Google this but only came up with the LAMS list... I'm looking for bikes on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Does such a list exist? If not, let's create one here!

So far my searches have shown that the Ducati 1199 Superleggera has the highest power to weight ratio of any production motorcycle, though it seems a little too exotic, being sold by invitation only and all. What other options are there for the average Joe?
  2. You can get a remote control one with a whipper snipper engine pushing 2 to 1.
  3. Not sure I understand where you're going with this...
  4. #4 Jaytee, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Ask and ye shall receive! :)

1. 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S 1:2.47
    2. 2012 BMW S1000RR 1:2.49
    3. 2010 BMW S1000RR 1:2.55
    4. 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R 1:2.91
    5. 2008 Honda CBR1000RR 1:2.92
    6. 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 1:2.93
    7. 2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:2.98
    8. 2004 Yamaha YZF-R1S / 2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R 1:3.09
    9. 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:3.13
    10. 2007 Ducati 1098S / 2010 Aprilla RSV4 Factory 1:3.14
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I can see a can of worms - It would be useful to have some units specified to use for any contributions. I can already see a problem with the whipper snipper. 2:1 what?
  6. You're right, how about a list for each category of motorcycle? Eg. nakeds, dirt, touring, etc.

Love your work JT
  7. The standard ones.

Dogpowers to watermelons.

Interesting fact for the day. A horse can produce up to 14.9 hp.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Engine power to weight ratio doesn't mean the fastest bike on the road. getting that power to the ground is the important factor.
    the Big Ninja ZX14R is the worlds fastest accelerating production motorcycle, but doesn't have the highest power:weight.

Most will be speed limited at 300km/h, usually via gearing (redline in top gear at or near to 300km/h) in any case.
  9. In regard to what makes a quick bike on the road, it's all about torque. Always has been!
  10. NOW you've opened a can of worms <bolt>
  11. Power to weight ratio is important but it's only a small part of why one buys a particular bike. Most cruiser riders will be the first to admit that your average cruiser has a woeful power to weight ratio but they have the 'look' that is desired and they are still going to cream most cars at the traffic light drags. If hp to kg is your thing then the hypersports bikes like the R1 Yam, the 'Blade and the BMW 1000RR are where it's at.....Personally anything with over 100hp and weighing from 180 to 220 kg is a useful standard for when I'm looking at bikes. Having said that my favorite bike, my TRX850, only makes 79hp and weighs 190kg(dry) but it holds its own with a lot of supposedly 'better' bikes. When I'm researching bikes I use this site a lot... http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/index.htm It's pretty comprehensive and quick to look up.

Kobo :cool:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hi Haros,

Just wondering if you're after this list for info/interest, or if you're planning on buying something at that end of the scale?
  13. The bike with the best P2W ratio might feel like a dog to ride.. Looks, feel & sound are what i look for.. power doesn't really come into play for me.
    It was one of the reasons why I bought a V8 , the sound...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Having looked at the BMW S1000RR it probably comes closest to the magic 1hp per kilogram that the average man can afford. It puts out an alleged 199hp for a wet weight of 204kgs. It's cousin the HP4 'only' puts out 193hp but it weighs a mere 199kgs wet.

Time to fap....

Kobo :cool:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ditto. If I wanted to ride a spec sheet I would've bought an S1000RR. Not saying it's not an awesome bike - it is - it's just not my thing.

Still, interesting to know these things. I'd be interested to see a torque/weight table too, but not so much to make one myself :p
  16. Possibly both. Obviously, power to weight ratio should not be the only factor to consider in a motorcycle as others have pointed out, but it's not a bad place to start either.
  17. I get that this thread doesn't exactly promote motorcycle safety however there are other threads for that topic. People should be able to decide for themselves what they do with this information, it's not a kids' only forum.
  18. Sure. But I'll assume that although you're new to NR, if you're looking at these you're not a new rider on L's then...
  19. I think he was more referring to the eternal struggle between the "power sells units, torque wins races" camp and the "MORE POWAAAAH" types.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Just to add a few more worms or even cats among the pigeons

Power to weight. Is the weight dry or wet? What constitutes wet (oil, water, fuel, 1/2 fuel)? Where do these figures come from? Manufacturers use different methods to calculate weight