Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycles Safer Than Horses

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bravus, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Thanx to Gromit for this one:

"According to the UK Stoke Mandeville hospital, who have conducted a study on accidents, a motorcycle rider is 21 times less likely to suffer a serious accident than a horse rider."
  2. maybe horses are too moody :grin:
  3. :LOL: Lmao
  4. It would be hard to say neigh to these conclusions.....
  5. Wooaa be it for me to sadle you with any corny jokes but thats what happens when you horse around.
  6. Well that's pretty obvious...I mean...horses have faulty steering, their accelerator and brakes don't work plus the handling is dubious to say the least........

actually they sound much the same as Harley's... :p

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  7. yeah, but on balance, they ARE four-wheel drive :)
  8. The government will soon be tackling this problem. Expect to see anti-equine amendments to the hoon laws shortly.
  9. I would have to agree horses can be bloody scary when they get shitty, had to tell the wife those stats thanks.

Ride to Survive
  10. as someone who was born and raised on a cattle station in the Gulf of QLD I can certainly agree with those stats :?

At least with motorbikes and helicopters you have a semblance of control when facing scrub cattle :shock:
    at least the motorbike doesnt get scared

These days I pretty much stick to Motorbikes :LOL:
    besides Petrol is cheaper than hay at the moment

11. A guy I went to Tech School with got in trouble for riding his horse over the West Gate Bridge many years ago (80's).

Seriously though if you take a step back and look at it a bike crash (ignoring outside causes like cars) tend to happen due to input, or lack of, by the rider be that going too quick or not noticing something on the road surface.

A horse, strangely enough, has a mind of it's own and no matter what the rider tries to tell it if it doesn't want to do something it wont do it and goes into self preservation mode. Bikes also don't get spooked by outside influences like people or wildlife (mind you the rider could).

You also tend to be a long way off the ground compared with bikes when riding a horse so it's a lot futher to fall and if the horse lands on you thats over half a tonne of moving pet food compared to 150-300kg of metal bike.

The only thing in a horse's favour is it is usually slower and as mentioned is effectively a 4x4 :roll:
  12. Motorcycles don't fart or poo on your feet either...........or maybe that was just that one really evil horse. :evil:

Regards, Andrew.
  13. Here Here!
    I was walking on a horse (literally visualize that as you please) and the bastard very deliberately and slowly walked into a branch.

By branch, I mean tree with foliage 2 inches higher than a horse. Slowly and deliberately walking into this thing until I was forced off the back.

Not once has my motorcycle walked into a hedge with a smarmy look on its face. Not once!

Ban horses I say. Granted, I do call my ttr250 my horse and mount it as such (tt stands for Too Tall doesn't it?) but that's another story.
  14. Terrible, but awesome.
  15. Thanks for that info.....*really* helping my cause :roll: :p :wink: :LOL:
  16. interesting... Years ago I read in a HORSE magazine about horse rider injures and such... and THERE they made a comparison of statistics colected here in Australia, of horse v's Motorbike rider injures.. and yep they come up with similar conclusions... you are far more likely to be injured while "operating" a horse than a motorbike the % differed somewhat when compared off road to on road and racing.. So what ever you choose to do on a horse you are far more likely to be severely injured or die than on motorbike... sad... sad... sad... and they were our main mode of transport for such a long time...
  17. That, and a horse puts out only one horsepower. Whereas most mid-sized sportbikes put out over 100. :shock:
  18. Not even one horsepower if the horse is old and knackered.

Even a half fcuked farm bike will put out more than 1hp :grin:
  19. On the flip side, you can get drunk and fall asleep on a horse and it will take you home :grin:
  20. AND it uses renewable energy sources...

Unlike this gas guzzling donkey: