Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle tyre changers

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by icemaker, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Looking at getting one of these to do my own tyre changes and just wanted to get peoples experiences/opinions of particular brands or models. Lots available out there from the el cheapo Supercrap jobbies to multiple thousand commercial types. NoMar has piqued my interest, they look good but is it that much better than Supercrap?

2. I think LionzLionz has a setup?
  3. I bought an ex-commercial eagle smf tyre machine from Gumtree. It had been modified to do motorcycle wheels without removing the discs and I can still do car/4wd wheels.

I race and change all sorts of tyres all the time, so I have more than made back the purchase price. Manual tyre changing sucks so don't even bother.

Unless you do it all the time. Just pay someone.

4. Does it suck because physical effort is needed or because it doesnt do as good a job? If its the physical effort then it wouldnt bother me at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. If tyres are new, supple and get changed regularly, it's not so bad. Old, hard and been on for ages, just crap. There are times the tyre machine struggles, but it's not normally bike tyres, though some hard ones still take a lot of physical work even with the machine. Breaking the bead can be the biggest hassle.

To do the odd tyre in ideal conditions manually is ok, but a lot is a pain. Don't forget you will need levers, rim protectors, valves, valve tool, soap, wheel weights, manual balancer, wheel adapters, blah, blah, blah

6. Hey Mate. NoMar are the best and you're paying for it.
    Yep, I have one of the cheapies!!!! It's been fine and i've done loads of tyres. Just takes a bit of practice to get the technique right. Worst thing is the rim grip is metal and has scratched the rim on occasions. I have old handlebar grips sitting on them currently which helps. That said today's job is to knock up a polyurethane jaw to solve that, and for the bead breaker too.
    I have a spare NoMar bar as I bought two with the intention of flogging one off to offset the postage from the States. If you want to pop over and check out the set up, put a tyre on and off, no problem.
    My changer is mounted on a ply sheet, I just drive the front wheel of the car onto it to hold it in place.

Here's the changer I have and the mod for 17" rims:

Here's a link to a guy in the States who modded a cheapie - so i'm basing my mod on this:

Harbor Freight Tire Changer Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

I can't find the Delrin rim clamps so i'll fashion a jaw from poly and see how i go.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Your a bloody legend LionzLionz, might have to check out your setup and rip up the Putty while Im up that way
  8. I use a no scuff tire tool ( its a US made thing hence "tire" instead of "tyre").

Never scratched a rim yet. This tool is brilliant if you use it as directed. You use it manually so some physical exertion is required, but that's fine by me!

I bought a cheap wheel balancer and black wheel weights from Jake Wilson. I re-use the weights by adding double sided tape just like the stuff they come with.

I made my own bead breaker with timber which is bolted to a fence post and a tyre changer like the one that the guy who makes the noscuff tire tool uses in his videos. This consisted of an old 13" car rim that my father in law had laying around the farm, some 3/4" whitworth booker rod from bunnings, a small piece of 6mm flat plate, some rubber hose and about 100mm of 12mm bar. Its a masterpiece! LOL
    Heres a link to a pic off the noscuff site: No-scufftiretool

It works well and is easier than using tyre levers, although I have to say that once you use levers a few times, they aren't too bad. You just have to get your technique right.

I change mine and two other guys tyres, so do anywhere between 3 and 6 sets a year. Not enough to justify buying a machine, but we were buying sets of tyres for about $300 delivered from the states when the dollar was up so my set up has more than paid for itself.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The no scuff tool is the same as the NoMar - just cheaper I suspect. Great tools though, makes life easy.

Here's the nylon / polyurethane brackets i knocked up for the clamps. Also put a nylon plate on the bead breaker. Drilled the holes in the plate and tapped a M6 thread. Placed the cut poly sheet (which started life as a decent kitchen cutting board) in a metal tray and whacked the oven up to 200. Failed on the first go - turned to mush, got it right second attempt. Clamped it warm and pliable to the bead breaker plate with a g clamp. Let it go off. Then drilled the poly, tapped it and countersunk.
    The cut hose just adds to the 'grip' of the clamp. icemakericemaker welcome to come over anytime Mate.

IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1113.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. The no scuff tire tool is just a mounting/demonting bar and from memory was based on the nomar.

The guy decided to make his own because his rims were getting scratched up by the tip of the nomar tool, at least I think that's what I read somewhere on his site! LOL
  11. Bloody brilliant job, might have to start drawing up some plans and start a component list
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I have a no mar Classic model
    Australia's best Tyre Changer for Motorcycles.

I do tyres at least a set a month , for me and a friend of two , and track bike and adventure bike etc .. so between all of them im doing a LOT !

Works really well , and easy as.

They have videos showing smaller women doing it so not a lot of muscle required, and generally if it is difficult, then you're doing something wrong, as in the tyre isnt in the wheel well properly etc ..

Works a treat, but as someone above said, they are not cheap, but between the $$ per change saved , and the re-use of old half used tyres, taken off before weekends away etc , it has paid for itself..
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1