Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle tie-downs

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by dan, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Great bit of lateral thinking. I like it a lot.
    I'm sure many racers would appreciate this as well as recreational riders.
  2. i saw this product on one of those sunday morning 'small business' shows after an all night drinking session... apparently they're struggling a bit to get off the ground.
  3. Reckon they deserve support, it's a great idea and they're Aussies!
  4. They sell them at Bikemart in Ringwood. There is one displayed on a road bike on the showroom floor. :)
  5. Hey what a great product, and did you notice, the straps go ACROSS the back tyre?! (Oh sorry, that's another thread, isn't it???)
  6. What's the Oz price? That news clipping had the price in US dollars.
  7. Good concept.

But, unfortunately, it does not provide the leverage that two tie downs on the front of the bike will provide......

I looked at this some months ago and have had a few concerns in relation to bike street bikes.......

If you hook it to the bars, you have greater leverage, if you hook it to the wheels, the length of the strap is much shorter and as such has less leverage.

Although, I may still try it......
  8. Sorry, don't recall the price.
  9. But then you also have to try pulling your front forks down as hard as you can so the straps are tight where as on top of the wheel it leaves your shocks out of the factor
  10. You never ever crank down the forks hard as it destroys the seals. All you need to do is snug it down about 1.5inches and nothing more.... it needs to be snug... :) :) :) :) :) :)
  11. There you go, not having to deal with the forks must have the bike tied down with a stronger force without damaging it
  12. Prob OK for off roadies. Would not trust it for heavy road bikes. I could see it come loose (Tyre goes flat etc) and the bike is gone.

I have a strap that goes around the front forks just above the mudguard bracket on the front wheel. The trucky type ratchet then pulls down and forwards on the wheel only. The shocks have no pressure at all. The ratchet/strap does have a short pull, but is at about 45 degrees so is max efficient for pulling down and outwards.

The front wheel has a strap (trouser belt made of harness webbing) around the front of the channel to stop it moving back, and another at the bottom. Another strap goes around the back wheel where it sits in the channel. That way the rear cannot go anywhere.

The things to consider is that the bike must not move and have no undue pressure on seals etc. Another is that if the car is in a bingle and the bike comes off, you are liable for any damage it does and can face charges for an unsecured load.

My trailer also sports a boat winch for bikes with flat tyers that are hard to load. the trailer has a detachable ramp, and a stand at the rear that comes down while loading or unloading heavy bikes to stop the trailer from jumping off the ball accidently. The spare wheel hangs from a chain underneath. I can assure you it all comes in very handy when you are in strife.

My son has an off road and he has a block that sits on the front wheel and keeps the steering head from coming dowm. That way there is very little load on the front springs. It is quite good.

13. I like 'em. my mate's got one he uses when we tow'em to some track somewhere :D
    All ya need is some short ratchet straps and YOU BEAUT..
    have a look at the aussie website here

I never thought about the flat tyre tho :shock:
  14. Mates got one. We saw them last year at the bike expo and as he was coming back from Sydney he thought what a good way to bring the bike down.

Well that's what we both thought untill he tried to put it on his BlackBudgie. This system does not work so well if you have pipes on BOTH sides as the strap acting as a lever has the pipe in the way. So he had to REMOVE the pipe for the system to work.

Great idea for dirt bikes and single pipe bikes that have the pipe up and out of the way but pretty useless for MOST road bikes IMHO.

Price was around the $130 from memory.

Cheers 8)
  15. Aaaaah. Thanks for that. I knew there was some reason for having doubts about it working on my Monster. I've got the low cans set up.
  16. These are a good product. In fact I just bought myself two sets today. I checked out the web site (see Asto1 post) and rang the lads in Melbourne. These guys couldn't have been more helpful.

Before I bought the TyreDowns, I check them out at another mates place and I reckon if they are good enough for his Aprilia RSV they'd be good enough for my ST. Yep great idea, they come in two models, road and dirt, and are complete with the straps and ratchet mechanisms.

I've no affiliation with the company, just like seeing fair dinkum Aussie innovation.

I suppose I'll see if there is any exhaust fouling when I fit them. This was something I hadn't considered.

Brian, BTW, thanks for the advice re loads etc. Although I'll use these I may take extra precautions as well. I'm in the process of converting my trailer to carry bikes, so will keep some of your points in mind.

17. I looked at these quite some time ago.I was quoted a prie around $150 when I was speaking to the manufacturer (I think they were at the bike expo a couple of years ago). I like the idea of an easier tie-down system. It doesn't put anywhere near the same sort of pressure on forks (especially on long distance trips) that convntional tie-downs do, however I agree with Skuffy that the leverage seems to be (possibly) inadequate.

If I bought one, I would use it in conjunction with conventional tie-downs (I use those handlebar doohickies with good quality ratchet style tie-downs). I don't have a trailer anymore and I don't like to tie-down a bike by myself anyway, so, unless I start racing in the future :shock: :LOL: :LOL: , I don't think I'll worry about it!

When I went to Redwing a few weeks ago, I spoke to one of the guys about them. He said he's a little skeptical, but has customers who use them.

:D :D :D