Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle Stopping Distance Chart

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 99CIBBER, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hey All, Thought I'd post this up for a refence to stopping/braking. Please note it is a guide only and doesn't take into account other factors, type of bike, road surface or ABS etc.

I hope it sheds some light on how speed compounds stopping distance.

EDIT: See post #15 for a link to an annimated braking simulator.

Feeling nerdy click below:

Attached Files:

• SD3.
      File size:
      22.4 KB
  2. That looks suspiciously like the old UK Highway Code chart that all the Poms here will remember memorising for their tests :D. It was in feet in my day though.
  3. Not easy finding a metric chart on the interweb.
  4. I should measure the braking distance next time I practice 60-0 km/h and compare.
  5. Cibber... you've entered a very different world on that site. I frequent it often... It's James's fifedom, but has a lot of good physics info.

That's a useful chart. When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of JRD's spreadsheet that let's you play with the other factors so you can calculate stopping distances on a custom basis.
  6. exactly. all they've done is (partly) metricatify the old imperial chart. from memory it was based on a Ford Anglia test and bears no relationship at all to modern stopping distances.
  7. Click on the link and play to your heart's content Simon.
  8. Rob, I agree it is bloody scientific! too much for my little brain to digest. (computer says noooo, coughhhh) Hence my "feeling nerdy" preface. :)
  9. I remember doing my L's, they said 35m to stop from 60km/ph. in the dry. So use that as a benchmark. Let me know how you go.
  10. Interesting that the "thinking distance" nominated is ~0.7 seconds. The generally accepted timing for a "complex reaction" such as evading an impending collision is between 0.75 seconds and 1.5 seconds, for a typical alert driver with the point of concern in their direct field of vision. (So Sayeth Northwestern University and several books here at work. Northwestern have who've been researching motor vehicle accidents since dinosaurs roamed the Earth).
  11. I was told the same, but pointed out that their figures must clearly have been for braking from 60mph. Quite a few modern cars will easily pull up from 100kph in under 35 metres, though obviously reaction time will add to this somewhat.
  12. 1.5seconds! At 100km/h that's about 40m distance before applying brakes.

Puts tailgating into perspective.
  13. I think you may be wrong with your 2 points there jd.
  14. Attached Files:

• br.
      File size:
      16.3 KB
  15. From at least 10-20 years ago given the models that are listed. Brake technology has improved a lot since then, especially on European cars.
  16. Well, not too long ago, WA's Drive Safe handbook for learners listed stopping distances that were even longer than those nominated for a 1955 Ford Anglia. Making me deeply sceptical of any WA anti-speeding message based around stopping distances.

Those figures will all be sraking distance only. For a fair comparison to the original table a minimum 0.7s thinking distance would need to be added.
  17. Brake and tire tech have improved, but cars have gotten heavier, too.
  18. True. But as a comparison I dug up an old road test comparing my 1990 MR2 with a 1st generation MX-5. Stopping distance for the MR2 from 60mph was 40m, with the MX-5 at 42.

This test:
    Of the current model MX-5, which is 150kg (or 15%), heavier gives a stopping distance from 60mph of just 33.5m. Since the basic dynamics of both cars are very similar that difference can only be down to the better brakes, and better tyres, typically found on modern cars.
  19. my crappy car can pull just over 1G in an emergency brake situation from 140km/h measured on a g meter

so work that out in meters

either way the cage stops better than any motorcycle in the pouring rain at any speed...

my car cant pull stoppies though, so who cares if the brakes are better, even my scooter can pull a wicked stoppie