Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle specific oils

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Gyroside, May 13, 2016.

1. I have read that motorcycle specific oils can be a bit a scam, does anyone insight in this.

I have an 05 GS500F that I run Belray EXL 10W-40 and it $60 a 4L and I have heard that Caltex do a 10W-40 mineral that not motorcycle specific but it sells at approx. $120 for 20L drum. obviously im looking for a more cost effective but don't really want to sacrifice quality or performance.

also any other suggestions would be very welcome

Cheers Gyroside

2. Anything JASO-MA certified can be used in a wet-clutch motorcycle. There is a Gulf Western car oil at supercheap (15W-40) for around $30.

3. Also interested in the answer to this question. I have been buying specific stuff from the local bike shop, but I wonder what else I could be using in my Hyosung. Currently running a synthetic 10W40

4. See here The oil controversy thread
    30 plus pages, it's been discussed to death with many good recommendations for lower priced oil.