Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle security...how safe are our bikes?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by banditbob, Nov 28, 2006.

1. I'd like to hear your thoughts on motorcycle security, with regard to how effective theft prevention is with alarms, ulocks, immobolisers, chains, disc locks etc.

My bike will often be parked in a quiet, insecure location and for long periods of time. I'm planning on fitting the bike with a shock sensitive alarm and numerous chains (both around the wheels and adjascent poles).

Anyone know how theives go about stealing chained, and alarmed bikes?
    I've heard the density type of chain you choose is important to stop thieves burning through the metal...

2. The trick with chains is not what you chain up on the bike but what is on the other end of the chain. A large trained Rottweiler is probably one of the safer options.

The best security for your bike is probably a good insurance policy. A motion sensor doesn't hurt though. May deter kids sitting on it.

3. The trick with chains is not what you chain up on the bike but what is on the other end of the chain. A large trained Rottweiler is probably one of the safer options.

The best security for your bike is probably a good insurance policy. A motion sensor doesn't hurt though. May deter kids sitting on it.

4. If someone is determined enough and wants your bike then they will take it.

Best defence is probably to keep it out of sight altogether.

Steve

5.  Top
  6. come one banditbob I thought we all went over this in great detail before and the overwhelming advise from people vastly more experienced and sensible was DO NOT PARK YOUR BIKE IN UNSECURE LOCATIONS i.e. do not park it in the bush or at the shops you are just asking for trouble. No amount of security devices will prevent vandalism.
    If you cant find a friend or neighbour willing to let you park it at their place then look into storage places.
    or better still talk to your parents and try to come to some sort of compromise

7. haha settle down... I'm just looking into every possibility at this stage.

Persuading the parents is a tried and tired option.

However I am in negotiations with some of my neighbours atm :wink:

And of course self storage is a last resort.

I guess Im just bloody determined to find a resolution.

8. You've got two types of crim, the professional and the opportunist.
    The pro, will want your bike to fill an order, or to sell for specific parts (or to sell on Ebay :shock: ). You will NOT stop a pro, you can only hope to make it too hard for them, so they pick another bike that's a softer target.
    The other type (the opportunist) is easily put off. An immobiliser and cheapass motion sensing alarm will see these guys off. The opportunist either wants a joyride, or some parts for themselves, or is an amateur learning to go pro.

Regards, Andrew.

9. If the bike is in a fairly dark and quiet spot, the alarm means nothing. It would take about a minute at most to disable, and one minute of annoyance in the middle of the night will not make good citizens sleeping in the area investigate. Chains also mean nothing, they're easily removed. Brake-disc locks are harder to break, but easy to open. If the bike is in the same place, or close enough, for more than a week or so, it'll be gone after another few weeks. What suburb you're in will lengthen that time though. If you're in the Valley I'd say it would last 1 week. If you're in Burbank it might last 3 months.

Keep it somewhere safe, or it will go missing. Insurance will not cover a bike that wasn't at your fixed address when they find out it never is. Tell your parents, avoid getting a bike, move out, or have a good friend who will allow it to be kept in a garage. Those are the only actual options. Any option other than that is "blow $5k or so on a bike that gets stolen or can't be used."

10. Thanks for that info on how thieves do what they do.

Clearly its a bad idea leaving it out in public.

I'm trying to persuade some of my neighbours to let me keep it chained up in their backyard.

Kinda makes u wish ude taken more effort to get to know ur neighbours.

11. dbl post

12. best bet is good insurance and a prayer. maybe a chain through the rear wheel to keep the honest people deterred (incidentally, best idea is to have enough chain to place the padlock on the saddle, so when you sit down you remember the chain ... nothing like taking off and losing a handful of spokes). most people get sentimentally attached to their own bike, and it must be a terrible thing to have one stolen, but i just hope the odds are mine is insignificant enough to be overlooked.

to put it in persepective, there used to be a guy worked in my building who regularly rode his angels start singing Vincent Rapide to work and parked it on the street. $60,000+ sitting in the open and never so much as a scratch.

13. Respect :cool:

14. Yep

I have my steering lock set, a chain through the back whell and through the chain on the bike and a disc lock with an alarm in it. Hopefully that will keep them at bay.

15. yeah, the 'POS defense' shouldn't be under-rated. I don't lock my bike up at all at work, but since it's usually sitting next to about 10 much nicer and more expensive bikes, not all of which are locked up either, I feel pretty safe.