Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle scam

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by StRider, Jun 13, 2008.

1. It's a satire/joke. You could tell from about the 3rd post that it's just one long running gag that someone is playing.
  2. I read the thread till page 14... All I can say is IF it was real (and it looked it to me) then it's a lesson learnt for all :shock: .

And yes, I think it's safe to say we get Nigerian scam emails once a week. The scammed guy's purportedly a lawyer too :? Surely no one can be that ignorant...
  3. I'm guessing "cashiers cheque" is yank for "bank cheque", yeah?
  4. What do you mean IF? If you believe that entire thread had any semblence of truth in it, then you're exactly the type of personality that can fall for a scam.
  5. :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

OMG this is funny! A satire, yes, but a good one.
  6. +1 It's obviously a joke. Gee some people are gullible.
  7. nope
    money order :p
  8. Flux, are you telling me that Prince Mugambe is not legit? OMG, does Western Union allow you to revoke a transfer? He sounded very nice in his emails and I noticed that his ebay reputation was very good. I do hope I have not been scammed.
  9. He better be, his exiled cousin is depositing $14million dollars into my bank account just coz I'm a great guy! :LOL:
  10. I would have significantly less sympathy for someone who accepted a money order from "The Bank of Nigeria" at face value.
  11. No, but they recently took the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary.
  12. That was friggin hilarious. Can't believe how many suckers believed it to be real.
  13. Or a journalist.................. :LOL: :LOL: :p
  14. You could be right, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Last year The Age had an article on australian victims of nigerian-type scams.

There was (what seemed to me to be) an inordinately high number of professional people (lawyers, accountants) who fell for the scammers and either used their own funds or persuaded clients to get involved. Several (4 or more) million dollars were lost by those who reported.

Someone local has also posted in these forums of how he allowed himself to be ripped by sending money to someone overseas so that they could buy a ticket to come back and show him the bike he was interested in...

All the best

Trevor G
  15. Actually Scams like this happen all the time... and people get ripped left, right and center... My mate got riped $10,000... very clever scam involving counterfeit PayPal accounts and emails..
  16. I get that it was probably a joke, but if it's true to life of a real scam, then WHY would the seller have to wire the buyer money?
  17. Peaches wrote:

Obviously I have a low boredom threshold. I lost interest halfway down the first page and scanned about two more tilll I gave up completely. I figure either someone can tell me how it ends or I will just wait for the video to come out.
  18. The trick is that they send a check for more than the purchase amount and then ask you to refund/send them the difference.

That way they not only get the goods for nothing, they also get you to send them a bonus paid in real, hard, negotiable currency.

Unlike their check, which bounces.

All the best

Trevor G

PS This instance could easily be true - the pattern follows exactly what usually happens, although there is nothing to say that it wasn't written with those facts in mind.

The important thing is for people to realise that these sorts of scams are real, dumb, and yet still continue to find "marks".
  19. Sooooo... Seller is selling their bike for say $6500, then a buyer from overseas is all like "Dude, I'll buy your bike sight unseen, but I can only send a cheque for $10k which you can pick up from the shipping agent when you drop off the bike. That's Escrow you know, it protects you and me, plus I'm the highly decorated son of a member of the vestel virgin keeper order so you can trust me... only thing is, can you send me a refund right away so I can make the arrangements?"... and the buyer is all like... "Ok, that sounds good. You sound trustworthy. Send me the details I'll get onto western union right away." ...and everyone on the sidelines is all like :shock: "WTF!!?!?"

How can this scenario not be fishy?? :roll: