Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle sales surge to record levels

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by dcart3r, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I'd like to hope so, but don't see any major changes in the near future.

Anyway, I hope to help the upward trend by buying a new bike soon as I do my course. Of course, I had to time my motorcycle initiation with a looming Canberra winter, :facepalm:
  2. +1 Can only help .. the more voices, the stronger the message :)
  3. anyone read the latest roadrider article on the potential death of the bike industry in the next decade?

according to the numbers, both the US and Australian demographics are about identical in terms of who buys bikes.

It was the baby boomers in their teens and twenties who bought bikes. Then, when the kids and mortgage came along, the industry got cut down at the knees. Now the kids have left home, they are buying bikes again, but that won't last for much longer. They reckon the average AND median age for bike buyers in both countries is about mid forties to fifty. And the new Generation Y are too busy buying cheap cars, ipods and mobile phones to be interested in riding a bike. Half of all new non-dirt bikes and ATV's in the last decade were purchased by people over 47yo!

Fun times ahead.

Even in sydney and melbourne, my experience of those buying scooters is that many of them aren't young people (20's).
  4. my feeling is that there is not enough advertising done by the motorcycle manufacturers.

when a new car comes out, there are ads on tv, ads in the paper ads everywhere.

when a new bike comes out they are only advertised in bike mags.

to increase the portion of young motorcycle riders, motorbikes need to compete with cars for awareness.

im thinking a tv ad modeled around the aussie tourism ones. a group of sportsbike riders talking at pie in the sky, helicopter views of cruisers in a small pack on the open road. the commuters in the bus lanes. finishing off with "do you ride?"
  5. i'm a y'er and i have deciddededededed to buy a bike instead of a sh*tnox, i wouldn't mind a new phone but i dont see the neeed of buying a new one every 6 months and surprise surprise, i don't own an ipod HAHAH.

i figured out the fun in riding a bike outweighs looking like a retard in a crap car, staring at my phone alll day or stuff my ears with noise all the time. :LOL: :twisted:

ps. i hope i like the 250 hornet i'm inspecting to buy this saturday :oops:
  6. TV advertising is very expensive, and with only a fraction of the population remotely interested in buying a new bike (as opposed to a car), the bike mags are obviously their best bang for buck.
  7. I was speaking to a couple of bike dealers, and they were saying that there has been a huge surge in new learner riders, and as a result, there is a high demand for used learner bikes.
    So I'm finding it's not easy to find reasonably priced used learner bikes around.
  8. hopefully my bike will increase in value! :LOL: highly unlikely.....
  9. A niche market. know where the demographic look, spot on.
  10. Its probable more closely related to the change in rules allowing fatter postes...........
  11. people still watch tv :shock:
    I dont know many young people that watch tv or read the paper
  12. One of my friends recently got his license with the intention of using his bike to commute, another is contemplating it for the same reason.
    Regardless of what sales cycles gen x, y, or z saw, I don't see the current boom stopping whilst fuel prices continue to rise and public transport remains:
    a) slow
    b) inconvenient
    c) expensive
  13. Depending on how fuel prices fare we could see a day when there are more scoots on the road than cars - or at least 4WDs. Of course, if its just for economy, most of them will probably be imitation Vespas or postie bikes.

I got my bike for a commute to no-public-transport land - I used to ride public transport everywhere. Then I figured I should learn as much as I could lickety-split before I got creamed on the road, and somewhere along the way I turned into a fanatic. Wonder if it's a common syndrome among budget-conscious commuters?