Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle sales fall 15 per cent

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by 2up, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Motorcycle sales fall 15 per cent
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 » 09:04pm

Sales of motorcycles and scooters have fallen 15 per cent.

The rush by Australians to switch from four wheels to two has taken a blow with sales of motorcycles and scooters falling 15 per cent in the first quarter.

After demand rose to record levels in 2008, the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) on Thursday said 26,241 new bikes, scooters and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) were sold to the end of March.

The result was down 15.5 per cent on the 31,064 sold in the same period last year and followed a 19.2 per cent fall in sales of new cars and trucks over the first quarter.

FCAI chief executive Andrew McKellar said that while there had been a decline, the motorcycle market was coming off a period of high demand, driven partly by high petrol prices last year.

He said there were still good reasons why motorists should consider buying a new bike or scooter.

'There are signs that the motorcycle market has softened in the past three months, however, it has to be remembered that it is being compared to the record sales result of 2008,' Mr McKellar said.

'There are obvious financial benefits of motorcycle ownership and in these economic times people should look seriously at their transport needs.'

Sales of road bikes held up the best in the March quarter with demand falling just 6.8 per cent to 10,794.

But demand for ATVs was down 13 per cent and off-road bike sales slumped by almost 20 per cent.

Scooter sales also suffered in the downturn with only 2,996 retailed to the end of March, a fall of 31 per cent.

Mr McKellar said scooters remained a fashionable, convenient and economical mode of transport.

'But it is clear that the tightening economy has affected sales of this previously rapid growing segment,' he said.

Yamaha was the top selling brand in the first quarter with 5,197 units ahead of Honda on 4,917 and Suzuki on 3,763.

Harley Davidson performed better than most with demand down just 3.6 per cent to 1,902.

The best-selling bike was the Kawasaki EX250-F with 552 retailed over the three months, ahead of the Honda CT110 on 479 and the Suzuki DR-Z400E.

Honda had the top selling scooter with the SCV100 snapped up by 160 buyers, an increase of 90 per cent over the same period in 2008.

2. someone say Australia post
  3. to be fair, last year's petrol price stupidity would have driven a lot of sales....
  4. I don't think this would hurt to much....I think the bike shop's make a lot of their profit's of servicing IMO.....$400 for a minor....Somebody's getting the $$$$$$......
  5. Interesting stuff.

It is very interesting to watch the arse fall out of some parts of the second hand market too.
  6. SO with a fall of 15%, once you line that up with how much everything else has fallen - there's not too much to worry about.

I love how they point out that bikes and scooters can be an economical alternative.... that's how we get people suckered in. Then *bam* next thing they're on an R1 guzzling fuel down the spurs destroying expensive tyres faster than their credit card can handle. Suckers. Oh that reminds me I best order those new set of PR2's soon.
  7. And we are seriously better off than anyone in Europe, with 30% sales declines.

It's interesting to note the glee with which some media organisations report the current situation.

Unemployment is at 5.75%. Now, dodgy numbers not withstanding, that means that 94% of people had a job of some sort. I know the numbers are dodgy, but it's the change that I am interested in. 5yrs ago the unemployment rate was the same. Last year, with the minerals boom it was at 4%.

I'm about to lose my job (contract ending and no hope of a new one), but the constant tales of doom and gloom become a self fulfilling prophecy.

In the UK, sales were down 30%...but they still sold over 1.75million cars, or 5,000 a day. That's shit for the dealers who aren't selling cars, and 30% is 30%, but the way it's reported you'd think that no one was buying anything. At all. Yet clearly we are. But if you think, 'fcuk, no one is buying stuff, I'd better not buy stuff, just in case', then the bottom falls out of the market totally.

I am getting seriously depressed with the daily news and it's got to the point where I no longer watch some news programs or listen to some news reports. Perhaps if we all did the same, confidence would return?

Talking of which, there was a marked increase in consumer confidence numbers yesterday. If you weren't listing to NewsRadio you'd not know that.
  8. Could also be the weather.
    Riding in summer is awesome, but at 0600 on a cold winters morning leaving the car at home and belting along on a bike/scooter might not be everyones cup of tea...
  9. I think you're spot on. :applause:
  10. Despite there being a fall of 15%, road bikes only fell by 6.8%, which is pretty reasonable. It makes sense that leasure items (dirt-bikes) would fall by much more (20%).

Interesting how the Ninja 250r was the most popular road bike. I already see a few around, I bet i'll see more. Its certainly a pretty one.

I am very surprised that scooters fell by 31%. I'd have thought that the arguably most practical & utilitarian mode of transport would have fared the best. Evidently not.
  11. Mmm, perhaps when fuel was predicted to be $2 litre it made sense?
  12. hey, cejay, surely if the people who employed you knew the contract was ending they wouldn't have dragged you all the way to Cairns :?
  13. I moved to Cairns independent of the contract. My old employer has gone out of their way to help, allowing me to work remotely to my old customers. It's just that with the GFC and some other limitations on length of contracts that the position is ending.

Liz and I moved here for a change and to see if what the far north was like. And apart from a few dramas initially, all is good! Work however here isn't the same as in Melbourne, but then I didn't move here for my career. I suspect I might have to change to something totally different, but what?
  14. I wish you all the best, then: someone ought to pick up a man of your talents......

(You're IT, right? Scout around for IT support work at schools; the pay is average, and you don't get holiday pay, but the systems keep falling over, so there's never an end of work :LOL:)
  15. That is a serious consideration!
  16. It's what I do five days a week; it's poor but honest work :LOL:
  17. And in our particular instance, i think you are dead wrong.

The world markets are getting absolutely obliterated and for a bloody good reason. It's called the credit crisis not the negative thought crisis.

It's an interesting stance for our Govt to do all it can to keep our most important and basic need, shelter, as unaffordable as possible for our population.
  18. When it comes to consumer confidence you are totally wrong.

If people believe their jobs are at risk, regardless of the reality, they won't spend. At the consumer end of the market, this destroys sales of all goods. If people aren't buying household or domestic goods then the knock on is felt throughout the economy.

GFC is being blamed for everything. And guess what? Even some element of that is a confidence based issue. I don't know if you can pay back the debt, therefore I won't extend to you any credit. No credit means foreclosure, redundancies etc.
  19. Your comment was that negative thoughts were the problem.

It's a negative situation that is the cause of the problem. Negative thoughts and actions are a result of the negative situation.

It's not like someone yelled fire when there wasn't one, that's all i am stating.

*Edit - a clear example is the 'positive thoughts' the Govt and media have been dishing out for the past 6 months. Essentially complete denial with statements like 'its different here' etc. Constant claims from analysts that property is going to boom, rents will rise.

Despite the masses of positive articles i sift through daily, things are still falling apart. It doesn't seem the Govt's Positive thought policy is working....
  20. I said that it wasn't helping, not that there isn't/wasn't a problem.

Any bubble, be it minerals, stock market, oil, housing HAS to end. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in denial. Crashes/corrections always occur. This one is particularly severe and was/is being caused by multiple factors, many of which we are not truly aware of.

But...the daily reporting of doom and gloom *must* have a negative impact on people. The good numbers rarely get reported and the slightest bad number is endlessly repeated.

Anyway, at least I live in a nice climate..if you've got to be out of work, there are a lot worse places to be.. :)