Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle riders on track to hit million mark

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by XJ6N, Jul 25, 2015.

1. The Sydney Morning Herald's article about the increase of motorcycle registrations and rider licences 2010-15 published Friday, July 24 2015:

Motorcycle riders on track to hit million mark

I'm one of these new rider licence and registration-holders. I'd put off buying a motorcycle for about a decade. I now wish I'd done it earlier when the NSW licensing system allowed for a direct progression from Learner to full license for mature (>25 years age). It doesn't appear to be discouraging anyone to become a rider.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. The more the better, in numbers is power.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. I read the title and thought you meant 'a million Kilometres on a motorcycle', l even did a rough calculation, a worked out that l'd have ridden around 800,000km. :)

As cjvfr said above, numbers is power..... particularly those in positions of influence. But, sadly, more motorcyclist is also directly preportional to the amount of sh!tful drivers that we see everyday. As we know, it only takes a few ratbags to give all riders a bad rap!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes I don't know why that is:

There is a car driver doing a stupid thing.
    That car driver is an idiot hoon.

There is a motorcyclist doing a stupid thing.
    All motorcyclists are idiot hoons.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I guess it's just the ability to relate. Given that most people can drive or have been in a car, it's easier to recognise that not everyone is a hoon. While if you have never been on a bike or know no-one who has one, it's much easier for it to be an 'us vs them' and generalise.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. yeah more numbers is great!! We live in a great country to ride.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes and now the QLD government has lumped all bike riders in one group because there has been an increase in motorcycle deaths. No figures of how big an increase in the number of riders in the same period just a nice fluff piece on the news looking to grab more votes by clamping down on riders. You know the usual longer learners periods compulsory training don't get me wrong anything to bring the odds in favour of a motorcyclist surviving an incident is great but when pollies get involved you have to start worrying. They're asking for feedback from the community I just hope they listen to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. We have the Motorrad Million Award for club members who have ridden 1,000,000km on BMW bikes. Two recipients to date, both with over 1.3 million k's on BMWs plus more on other (lesser?) bikes :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I think they must have already passed the million mark as there were about a million bikes at the Grey Gum Café yesterday
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. One thing i noticed living in south east asia was how far behind we were in terms of numbers of people riding motorbikes/scooters.
    When i came back i got a license and a bike and noticed how different the attitude is here compared to there. A lot of people here have a very negative attitude towards motorbikes. My uncle gave me a pep talk, shaking his head at me and said to buy a car. My father kept telling me I was going to die and went quiet for 2 weeks. I wonder if all the fear campaigns they pump into peoples brains with advertising is actually counter-productive to encouraging people to ride.
    If all those riders in asia were driving cars the roads would probably become unusable. I think it is getting to the stage in australian cities where people are really seeing the advantages of riding. I think melbourne cbd starting to give preferance to motorcycles instead of cars is a step in the right direction... and the filtering laws.
    Another difference is the weather here. Im yet to ride a summer but i spent 3 years riding around overseas with no gear and was never that cold I couldn't ride. If it rains would just throw on a $1 plastic raincoat from 7/11 and be on your way it was never really cold. So that might be one more reason we are a bit behind in numbers compared to other places.
    Also the scooters in australia look a lot girlier than the ones in asia. The majority having small wheels as opposed to the ones overseas that are much bigger (wheels) and saturate the roads. The only reason I can think why we don't have them here is they don't meet the governments strict Australian design standards. Still i think the attitude towards scooters being "gay" is starting to dissapear.
    I really hope more and more people take up riding. That turned into a bit of a rant lol my apologies
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Factor in that most people don't ride bikes though:

"There is a car driver doing a stupid thing. That car driver is an idiot hoon. I'm a car driver and I'm not an idiot hoon, therefore not all car drivers are idiot hoons. It must be an isolated incident."​

Also factor that generally only the "hooning" motorcyclists are seen or noticed at all:

"There is a motorcyclist doing a stupid thing. That is the only motorcyclist I've seen all day, and I have no personal experience of motorcycling to form a valid opinion otherwise, therefore all motorcyclists are idiot hoons."​
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The above comments together really do encapsulate the issue of responsible vs irresponsible riding and riders by association. We're generally invisible unless doing something silly on the road. I wonder if it is also a fair comment to say that a rider's appearance and motorcycle contribute? Consider (as unfair as it is) a rider wearing an Aerostich touring suit on a BMW, another in Alpinestars leathers on an R1, and a third in Levis, t-shirt and neckerchief on a Harley-Davidson. They might be viewed and potentially treated differently by the public and police regardless of their riding behaviour, responsible or otherwise.

Sometimes I wonder if governmental feedback exercises are exercises in public relations rather than information-gathering that will shape policy. Of course that's a jaded and cynical view (the recent 'Country of Origin' product labelling law amendments showed that public feedback can make a difference). Motorcycling associations' advocacy is one of the best ways to effectively lobby for better policy decisions.

There's a troll in every thread and it's the aforementioned BMW rider in his Aerostich suit that has outed himself in this one. "How dare you!". Here in New South Wales that's like wearing a Maroons jersey down the pub on State of Origin nights. We won't discuss the fact that I'm looking favourably on R1150s for my next bike...

I read a comment in another thread a month or so ago saying that motorcycle rider training as part of a graduated driver training and licensing scheme would not only further the aims of motorcyclists but improve driver awareness of motorcyclists - i.e. we mightn't be so invisible if more people rode. As per the SMH article it looks like Australia is in a positive trend for motorcycling at the moment.
    • Like Like x 1