Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle restoration

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Fitty, Jul 16, 2009.

1. I've got an old GSX250 sitting in the garage, and I've been toying with the idea of restoring it for a while now. Before everyone steps in and tells me not to waste my time with it, I want to do it more as a learning experience than anything else, and because my brother is going to want a bike to ride in the next twelve months or so. I have a fair understanding of the basics of how bikes work, and a relatively good technical understanding of the moving parts as well, but it's all theory based.

What I'm after is a book that covers the lot. I don't need massively detailed explanations of absolutely everything, because I can research any problems I come up against, but it'd be nice to have a basic guide to the motorcycle from a technical point of view. I'm particularly interested in understanding more about fuel and electrical systems so I can teach myself through a ground up restoration.

So - has anyone got such a book, or come across one in their travels?
  2. It would sound like you want a service manual. May be able to find one with google.

It will tell you how to do, well almost anything.

Restoring being a waste - well depends. If the bike is so rooted that you have to start replacing most of it then it probably wouldn't be unless you're sentimentle. If it needs a good clean, a small number of things replaced and a general tune it could be. You will learn alot about the bike and bikes in general.
  3. It's not completely rooted, just neglected. And I realise that the workshop manual is the first port of call, but it doesn't really go into the details that I'm interested in - it's more a fact sheet than anything else.
  4. Dunno about that, every Service Manual I've seen has been pretty in-depth. You might be thinking of the generic workshop manuals that cover a variety of models?
  5. Workshop manuals do assume the reader has a certain level of knowledge (they are written for mechanics after all), so I understand Fitty's question.

I'd go to your local second-hand book store and pick up just about any generic automotive maintenance/repair book. An older one should be ok - I think the old gsx is a simple beast.

I'd also recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which will either give you an interesting read and a good (if very general) guide on how to approach mechanical work, or a headache, depending on your disposition.
  6. Two different things are often meant by the use of the title 'workshop manual' or 'service manual':

a) small manual of facts and recommendations - use this oil, these intervals for servicing, all in what amounts to ten A4 pages.

b) Then there's the detailed manuals such as Haynes produces, usually over 100 pages, telling you how to do everything from basic services, to re-wiring, to spliiting the cases and dismantling the gears...

I would call teh first a service manual and teh second a workshop manual, but people seem to use them interchangeably. Sounds like you want the latter?
  7. I'd say you should divide it by whether it is manufacturer or third party.

Manufacturers service manuals won't always be small. The Honda one from my old CBR250RR was 472 pages, and that was excluding the parts microfiche. :shock:

See if you can find one of these for your GSX250

If its only 10 pages, you are probably looking at the owners manual.
  8. The one for my Er6 is 592 pages
  9. I've got the haynes manual for that bike. It holds your hand enough.

Above that it's just take your time, work clean and tidy and don't force anything.
  10. If you are going to put things apart that you may have sitting around for a while and are worried about dust etc getting in. Bed sheets - from op shops - are great.
  11. Yeah, I'll have a look at getting the Haynes manual. Thanks guys.
  12. I am picking one up this weekend to try and get going too. Let me know how you get on with yours. Working on mine as a project with my kids. You can find workshop manual pdf on line just google it.
  13. A chap by the name of roy bacon has a quite extensive list of books on all subjects motorcycle related including restorations mostly relating to older machines, try a search. :grin: