Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Motorcycle registered at wrong capacity

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by nearlynormal, Aug 13, 2013.

1. I have a mate who bought a new bike a year ago, he has the renewal notice to pay this week.
    The issue being Vic Roads have the bike at 10% of it's capacity due to the dealer leaving off a zero, so it's a fair bit cheaper than it should be, despite there being no such thing as say a CBR100 not CBR1000.
    There is no moral question of owing money to the government, but seeing as he is far from rich and has not budgeted for the extra money, going to the dealer to get them to fix their mistake is not an option for a few weeks.
    A search has not not found the legal implications for TAC claim or anything like getting told by the police far from home they are unregistered so cannot ride home.
    Is he worrying over nothing?
    Thank you in advance for any advice from anybody who knows.

2. I'd fix it up, not be cause of any moral urge, but just simply to avoid complication further down the road.

I'm surprised they can make such a mistake you would think the engine/vin numbers wouldn't match up with the model and raise a flag.

3. Ah yes if he crashes and they find that his cbr1000rr is indeed not the cbr100 that is listed h won't be covered i am fairly sure.
    If he has no money he should probably get a cheaper bike

4. um it's not his issue, plead stupid....dealer and vicroads fcuk up ? they send you paperwork, you pay it...it's habit you dont read shit.

of course NEVER take anything i say as legal advice, that'd just be stupid.

5. Yup, I'd get it fixed for VicRoads and TAC alone. The last thing you want is them turning around in event of an accident and going "you're not covered since you weren't riding the vehicle the TAC charge covers. Ignorance is no excuse." I'm sure Justus can provide more insight, as I am but merely a simple pleb with no legal backbone.

6. Yes.

It's not his error or problem.

If you are fairly sure, it will be easy for you to provide evidence. I'll have a look at it when you're ready.

Justus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ahhh i miss you for things like this dad.

8. My guess is that in the event of a crash, you/friend WILL be covered but you are going to have to pay the difference, and if say it is many years until the error is discovered you may have to back pay what is owed.

I'm pretty sure when i last renewed a registration online it asked me to verify the registration details.

you might also have issues when going to sell the bike and the new owner trying to transfer.

PPRS checks also might scare off potential buyers.

9. Let's get this straight - did the buyer pay an 'on the road, no more to pay' price to the dealer? And the dealer has paid the stamp duty fee/rego fee (on the buyers behalf) at less the the vehicle's full fee, presumably pocketing the difference?

The buyer might be able to escape liability for not paying the correct amount (or having it paid on his behalf), but on the old transfer forms (haven't got one handy) there used to be a statement that if any details are wrong you were required to inform Vicroads ASAP. Not reading the form was not an excuse.

I would imagine that consumer law would require the dealer to deliver a fully registered vehicle as agreed. They should fix it at their expense.
    Going to Vicroads might end up with the vehicle's rego suspended until fully paid. Then you'd have to return the vehicle to dealer for them to rectify or refund your money (?)

I would get it fixed now.

10. Thank you for the advice and input. The issue will be fixed, the urgency and status until then was the part in question, sooner rather than later may be best.
    The registration certificate doesn't show the model or capacity, but online renewal does.
    You are right @Onoff312 about a cheaper bike, but it's not always that simple to do.

11. Maybe fire off a quick query to Vicroads. That way there is a record that your friend has attempted to fix the problem in case anything (touch wood) happens ie an accident. Then he can show the Vicroads record of a query being logged.
    (ie I have an outstanding query with Vicroads from May.... still hasn't been answered!)

12. Another example of a bureaucratic bungle: Drivers license never expires. Police always tell me to fix it. They get the same response: "Not my error. Not my problem" ;)

Justus.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Did the bike happen to get LAMS certified since it was labeled a CBR100?

If so, he should sell it for $15K which seems to be the going rate on gumtree for questionable LAMS certified supersport bikes which clearly should not be labeled LAMS. A little win fall for him to fix his money issues ;)

As per other threads, it seems he'll be able to get away with it for at least a year, but once he goes to renew, they'll most likely catch the error and just correct it at that point, no questions asked.

14. I've seen many similar scenarios in the past. People tell ya.."he he he he, I saved a few bucks by ripping off the system" But it usually comes back and bites them on the bum.

15. #15 darrenwilliam79, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    Actually this is highly unlikely. These renewals are all automated by computers so the chances of someone picking it up are stuff all. Government agencies are generally lazy and not that clever:sneaky: A friend of mine has been paying under $200 total for TAC and rego on his supersports bike for the last 4 years. He did actually ring up Vicroads originally to check it was all ok and was told it's all good! I told him if he ever wants to sell the bike I'll buy it from him for the rego discount alone