Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle Rearend in Canberra

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mouth, Mar 4, 2015.

1. http://esa.act.gov.au/2015/03/03/multi-vehicle-crash-at-fyshwick/

2. wow man that's nasty, glad to see you get up and walking around.
    How are you feeling now its the next day, and how did the bike come out after it?
  3. Wow. I'm always watching behind me when coming to a stop, and position myself so a rear ender wouldn't sandwich me between cars, but can't imagine I would have seen this coming. +1 for filtering I guess.
    Surprising how little attention some people must pay to the road. They were stopped for a while before the ramming.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. He is a lucky boy, time for lotto ticket maybe.
  5. Geeeesussss ! wanna go halfs in a lotto ticket, as mentioned by NewieRiderNewieRider how were you feeling the next day.
  6. I don't think the rider was the poster by the way fellas.
    Note the quotation marks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ahhhh good point
  8. Well, who ever the rider was, very sorry to see that it happened in the first place and judging by the extensive damage to the cars (!!) there must have been some serious speed at the time of impact. So glad he’s up and walking around and using therapeutic expletives.
  9. LOL I thought the guy with a pushbike helmet on had gotten out of the little black hatch for a moment WTF? was it the Gronk in the ute that ploughed into everyone?

This is why I laugh when people say they watch their mirror when stopped etc. you would never see this coming. I'd also say that filtering wouldn't really provide any benefit it could perhaps even make things worse. If you look at the way the cars got skewed if you were between lanes you could end up with crushed or broken legs if you ended up pined from the sides, and if you're at the very front of the que perhaps pushed out into the intersection and traffic.

If you forget the seriousness for a moment it was kinda comical the way his legs went up in the air and then he was just standing next to his bike ;)
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. True iClintiClint , the way he ended up he could have easily smashed into the car beside him..

The cars don't end up in a straight line and his bike is almost in the oncoming traffic lane.

There are certain things you can do to minimise risk / injury but sometimes things don't go as you planned.

Attached Files:

11. So the question is, was the driver behind the rider already too close for comfort even at a stop? Given that the rider stopped reasonably abruptly, my answer would be yes. As a learner I leave bucket loads of room in front. Probably an unreasonable amount, but if someone pulls up too close, it gives me some wiggle room and a good escape route as I'm still a bit nervous when cars feel 'too close' behind me.
  12. The car behind appears to stop with some distance between him and the bike (you see him in the bike mirrors as the rider does a quick check), then moves over to the right (must want to take that right turn lane).. The other 2 cars appear to be heading straight ahead..

Based on the video time the rider came to a complete stop , then 3 seconds later gets hit..

Just an unfortunate incident ..
  13. Bullshit.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. I looked at the video again, but can't discern the distance of the car behind. If I had a go pro on my helmet, you would see my eyes glued to my mirrors. Still, I can't get over how much damage was done to the other cars....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. He positioned right and well back which is a good proactive thing to do as this gives you outs and escape routes - but you have to be ready to use them.
  16. Yeah he really plowed into them.. the driver in the middle car seemed to cop it the worst..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Have a close look at the video. There are no lights ahead, so the tail back is unusual. The drivers were not expecting stopped traffic in the right hand lane of a straight road. The turning lane on the right is a slip lane.

A rider shouldn't be hanging around the back of a queue where a queue is not expected.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. The problem with leaving a big gap to the car in front is that drivers have an expectation of everyone closing down to a few metres. They'll gauge that based on the big shiny car in front of you, which they can easily see, not your wee bike. If you hang back, you end up with a car stopping a metre from your arse, if not worse. Leave enough to get away to the clearest side of the car in front if you see trouble coming in your mirrors.

The rider in the video is fortunate that he wasn't one place back and providing the filling in a nasty sandwich.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. #19 robsalvv, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    I think there's some truth to drivers judging their distance to the car ahead and (deliberately/unconsciously) ignoring a bike, ESPECIALLY if the rider has pulled up to the back of the queue and been there some amount of time before the first car behind them shows up. But that is even more reason to leave an escape route. Stopping short a couple of bike lengths of the vehicle ahead is all you need. A couple of bike lengths will give you some chance of getting out of the way should you need to.

The increase in risk from a car not slowing down fast enough because they are gauging off the stopped car ahead is MORE THAN compensated by the rider leaving a couple of bike lengths space ahead. If a rider doesn't have much space ahead and the driver behind cocks up, then the rider is certain to become the meat in a metal sandwich with no escape route as opposed to some chance of becoming one with an escape route.

The rider in the clip stops short and biases to one side. That's fairly robust roadcraft - but would need to maintain awareness of what's going on behind him to seal the deal - and should have as it seems the tail back was unusual.

There is at least one time where you don't want to bias to the right or left wheel track and that is at night. Your tail light merges into the tail light of the car ahead and the driver behind will absolutely gauge their stopping distance based on the car ahead. The bike has effectively become invisible/camouflaged.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. What clue does the rider have that any thing is about to happen 2-3 cars have stopped behind him, he's not going to see much further back with the tiny little Mirrors on the bike.

Even if there was some kind of clue such as the sound of brakes skidding could they react fast enough to use the escape route.

The belief that every situation can be avoided, anticipated or over come through good road craft is nonsense. Good road craft mitigates the risk but doesn't completely eliminate it.

The rider would have needed a crystal ball in this instance.
    • Agree Agree x 2