Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

webBikeWorld Motorcycle Protective Underwear Review Comparison

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Nov 30, 2015.

1. A long time ago, I discovered the benefits of ditching the stock protectors included with motorcycle clothing and wearing protective ("armored") underwear instead.

There are a couple of reasons for doing this.

First, the armored underwear is elastic, so it locates the protectors right where they need to be and keeps them there.

That's quite unlike the elbow and shoulder protectors in a jacket or the knee protectors in pants.

Since both of those garments are designed with extra room to be comfortable when you're riding, it's nearly impossible for the protectors to stay in place and not slide around in an accident, just when you need them the most.

Also, most motorcyclists buy their jackets and pants at least one size too big, for comfort.

If you put a properly sized jacket on the average motorcyclists, he or she would complain that it's too tight. But I guess we'll never change bad habits.

Second, the stretchy fabric in the armored underwear just feels comfortable.

The looser-fitting clothing slides over the top of the polyester fabric netting of the protective underwear and this makes riding much more comfortable, as the outer clothing shell has more freedom to move without binding as you move around on the seat and pegs.

All of that goes double for jeans and since they almost never have properly located protectors, the protective pants are crucial.

So both Rick and I wear protective underwear underneath everything from jeans to even the high-end waterproof jackets and pants. We have both been wearing the Bohn CoolAir Bodyguard undies for many years and that brand/type has been my favorite also.

The Bohn Bodyguard system comes in an armored underpants (knee, hip and tailbone protectors) and shirts, which have elbow and shoulder protectors along with a built-in back protector in the latest versions.

And now that I think about it, the built-in back protector is yet another benefit.

Many motorcycle riders do not wear separate back protectors for one reason or another (mostly for reasons of comfort), so having a back protector insert built into the underwear at least gets you some protection you might otherwise forego.

motorcycle-armored-undershirts.
    (L to R): Bohn Bodyguard CoolAir Armored Shirt. Bohn Bodyguard Airtex Armored Shirt. Forcefield EX-K Harness.

more ยป

2. My goodness. The Netbot is on the road?!? Has Google car got competition? ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mormon riders need not apply

Attached Files:

4. Must admit i do actually like the concept - but what worries is:
    The Bohn Bodyguard Airtex Shirt is made from a ventilated material similar to that of basketball vests

Surely someone can make some gear that works on impact, is good for hot days and wont shred to pieces in the first metre or so of a slide

5. Hope it is easy to wash the gravy stains out after a scare!

6. Can you get them with a built in nappy you know for those shphinkter moments?