Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle Price Negotiation

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by banditbob, Sep 30, 2006.

1. I'm about to buy my first bike and have a question about bargaining power.

If a bike is going for 4 grand and is an average/decent price for its year, mileage, cosmetics etc, how much would you offer? My thought is $3500?

How far can one push the envelope?

If anybody could share their own experience or knowledge about this.. thatd be great.
  2. There's too many variables.

It really depends on the seller. Is he in a hurry to sell it, maybe he needs the money to buy an upgrade? Is it a rare bike or is bikesales full of them?

Some sellers wont budge at all, others maybe desperate to sell. You could try at $3500 and you may end up meeting in the middle somewhere - he can only say 'no' if its too low.
  3. As Cossie said, the balance is often between how keen you are on the bike vs how keen the seller is to offload it - offer the lower price and then go up - better than offering say $3900 which the seller may be happy with, when you may have been able to go lower. There's plenty of bike out there - be prepared to walk away no matter how hard that may be.
  4. dont rush dont rush dont rush...

As ezy said - be prepared to walk away. Research a few other bikes and get to know what condition its in compared to the one youre looking at. Find some things wrong with it and then go from there. Theres heaps of variables, but in saying that - if i were advertising a bike for 4k, id prob be prepared to sell for 3.5. BUT if someone offered that straight up id say now and then go something like 3.8. So if i were you id make an offer at like 3.2 or 3.3 with some justification as to why your offering that. And as cossie said, they can only say no and then negotiate from there. Just offer less than what your willing to pay straight up so then you can raise to what you want. Negotiating goes both ways.
  5. Aaaah the complex psychology of sale negotiation. There's a few sides to think about with it. First is economics, you'll want to pay the least you can, the seller will want the most they can get. Then there's how keen both of you are... whoever is most prepared to wait/walk away has the advantage in the negotiation.

Then we get to the subtler stuff... if you lowball it too hard they will likely get stubborn and dig their toes in for a higher price than they would have if you'd made them feel you valued their asset more. Emotions have a strong say here. If you get the impression that the person loves their bike and is sad to let it go then lowballing is going to go badly for you. If they sound like they couldn't care or just need the money then you're at the advantage.

Personally I'd go looking at the redbook. That's always a good indication. I'd probably start a few percent (rounded up to the hundred) above the red-book trade-in price. That says you value it and you're not trying to rip them off. If they love the bike then they'll have the feeling that you'll love it too.

It's a tricky thing the old negotiating table, but as everyone else has said, if you're prepared to just walk away and wait a bit longer for another bike then you have a huge advantage.

6. i say aim low and surprise them.
    there is plenty of bikes out there (as said earlier) remember you are the buyer...

i always walk around the bike, do ummms annd ahhhhs and find something that is not quite right and act sad about it....
    like when i bought the CBR, i acted sad about the drain holes in the mufflers that are 'sposed to be there. the dude didnt know so agreed with me that the bike was worth 1k less than asking price. for the record, i didnt know the drain holes were 'sposed to be there either until i got the manual :LOL:

rake all the advice, dont hurry, dont offer full price, and really be prepared to walk away. you can always go back :)
  7. "Hello there, I like the look of this bike."
    "Yes, it is nice. That will be $4000 thanks."
    "I will give you $3500."
    "I'm sorry, but we can't go any *SMACK*...
    ......so would you like an exhaust system with that sir?"
  8. goodmorning scrambles, chirpy as ever.....
  9. Early morning shift saturday, probably lost my liscence on the way to work...
    Late night out at Road Warriors last night....
    Early morning shift today....

Chirpy? Nope. Still pissed.

And good morning to you good sir.
  10. Sounds about right price, generally, about 10% is a fair offer.

Put yourself in the seller's position.

Ask them how long they have had the bike for sale, how many enquiries they have had, why didn't they mention the scratch/dent.

I then ask the seller what is the minimum they will take if I put a depsoit down today, generally this is about what I am prepared to pay so a deal is done. I also want to get as much information, and other bits and pieces lying around for the bike, as I can from the seller so don't want to put them offside for the sake of $100 or $200. And of course you can walk away for the sake of a few hundred dollars and you have to go and do it all again.
  11. :LOL: :rofl:

aahhhh sh1t happens...
    good luck with the licence
  12. scrambles, you're a maniac! Good morning to you too!

Unless the bike is a genuine one-of-a-kind, (lots of good extras, brand new tyres, just registered, etc etc) you can probaly afford to walk away, as ezy and others have said.

The one thing you don't want to happen is to bargain a great price and then see a better bike for a good price after you've settled. Take your time, wring out the marketplace and then start bargaining.
  13. Now now Paul, you can't label everyone a maniac just because they don't wear a bow tie...thats fashionist.

And good morning, I hope the only reason your are up early is to go for a ride.
  14. Later, my son, later. First activity of the day is preaching at my church! Then paying homage to the road-gods!