Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle penalties (NSW)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Paulstar3, Oct 3, 2010.

  1. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/motorcycles.html

    Not sure if I should post this here, or in the jokes section 8-[

  2. [​IMG]

    Imagine the revenue $$$$$$
  3. I've had a look through the penalties for riding on L's with a passenger and can't find anything. Would they count it simply as unlicensed riding?
  4. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/i...s&offence=&SubmitButton.x=75&SubmitButton.y=4

    Carry passenger on motor bike (licensed for less than 12 months) $258 3 (points) Road Rules 2008
    Rule 271-1 (1)

    that's interesting, after a year of red p's you can get greens and take passengers, but learner licenses count too, don't they? and you could have red p's for more than a year.

    if that's the only offence they could pull I could take pillions now and not get fined...
  5. Ah okay. That's weird, couldn't you have had your L plates for a year then get your P1's and legally carry them? The rta contradicts itself in so many ways:

    Licence restrictions for provisional rider licences
    Passengers – You must not carry any pillion passengers.

    But the actual penalty is:
    Carry passenger on motor bike (licensed for less than 12 months) $258 3
  6. Ah :\

    Reminds me of Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the way these rules and the sixty three exceptions and clauses are shown...
  7. Disclaimer - don't hate me for not reading NSW rules, I'm just going to explain how it works in QLD for carrying passengers, by the sounds of it I'd say they're the same rule.

    To legally carry a pillion you must have a motorbike license for 12 months, RE or R.. This period does not include L's and starts once you come off your L's.
    Red or green P plates don't make a difference as the bike licensing (RE vs R) is seperate.
    So if you came off your learners more than 12 months ago, you can carry a passenger (y)

    If anyone can confirm this is the same for NSW please go ahead, but thats how it works up here last time I checked
  8. I suppose the key distinction is that the Learner Permit is a permit to learn; the Provisional License and Full License are actual licences to operate vehicles.

    VIC is similar - you could spend 10 years on a learner permit for a motorcycle, but that time won't count for anything regarding how long you have licence restrictions. Once the rider is onto their Provisional License, the clock starts ticking. :)
  9. ///////////
  10. You'd think it would since a P1 license is valid for 18 months so it's easily possible that you could have a P1 license for over 12 months, but there are a few extra clauses in the link that say you must be on P2's. Why they didn't just say that in the first place, the mind boggles...

    However, when there's a contradiction and ridiculously overcomplicated and easily breakable laws the RTA wants to be a part of it.
  11. Hmm it used to be like that in NSW as far as I know, up until they introduced the 4 point thingy for learners (last july?). Now Ls are actually a license and I'm fairly sure that wording is intended to mislead as many people as possible.

  12. Misleading as many people as possible seems quite plausible. XD

    I've found that NSW, VIC and QLD all go out of their way to have badly-laid-out websites with inadequate and/or seemingly contradictory information in illogical and isolated parts of the website.
  13. Of course the RTA wants it easily broken - then they can fine you!