Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle Mechanics - about to become a dime a dozen?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mouth, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Is the number of motorcycle mechanics in Aus about to grow exponentially? Will the law of supply and demand mean mechanic labour is about to come down in cost? Will that translate to cheaper servicing and repairs for our bikes?

As part of the upcoming Free Trade Agreement with China, Australia has removed the requirement for motorcycle mechanics to meet skills assessment as part of being granted a 457 temporary working visa - permission to work for up to 4 years. One of the hardest requirements for getting a working visa as a motorcycle mechanic has been removed. A visa applicant no longer has to provide approved documentation to prove they have the necessary skills and experience as a motorcycle mechanic, to request a working visa as a motorcycle mechanic.

But wait, that doesn't necessarily make it easy to get a working visa as a motorcycle mechanic! It just removes one of the hardest components - proving you already have the skills and experience. So what are the remaining requirements to apply for a 4 year working visa as a motorcycle mechanic...
    • meet registration and licensing obligations
    • speak vocational English
    • have been nominated by an approved business
    The first 2 are relatively easy - in Victoria (I haven't been apply to verify for other states) there is no registration or licensing requirement to be a motorcycle mechanic for an existing business. Speaking vocational english means passing a International English Language Testing System (IELTS) general exam, relatively achievable for most applicants with english learning background.

The third - being nominated by an approved business - is the hardest remaining component of achieving a 457 visa. The government doesn't make it easy to be an approved business sponsor, and achieving it is quite difficult. There's a whole raft of requirements and obligations you have to meet, including evidence of existing training (1% or 2% of total payroll spent on recognised local training) and demonstrating their commitment to employing local labour as well as non-discriminatory recruitment practices.

What do you think? Will the removal of skills assessment on 457 class working visa's for motorcycle mechanics see our largest manufacturers and dealers becoming approved visa sponsors (if they're not already?) and largely increasing the supply of available motorcycle mechanics?

Note: This is not a discussion for the purposes of racism or nasty nationalism. As per the terms & rules, any such posts will be removed and likely to earn the author a temporary or permanent ban.

References and further reading:
    1. Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
    2. Motor Mechanic Career Information for Migrants | Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. We're already short on work. This will just make it worse...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Surely they will still require certification from China as proof that they can do the job?
    I already don't let mechanics touch my bikes so it doesn't really apply to me, but still, I hope they don't just take people at their word that they can do something.
  4. Mouth I thought the CHAFTA was in regards to construction projects worth over $150m and wasn't *entirely* related to unskilled immigrants not being skill-assessed? I went to a union rally in the cbd in Sydney a few weeks ago (I'm an electrician and this directly affects my career) and learned a few things about this - particularly that Chinese projects worth over $150m will not need to see if local labour is available for the work they are doing and will not need to hire that local labour - they can bring Chinese workers over on 457 visas and these workers will not have to meet Australian standards, so obviously will not have to be paid at Australian rates.

I work with a few guys who have done electrical work in developing countries, one of my colleagues was a supervisor in Papua New Guinea for a while and they had something like 20 unskilled labourers doing electrical work under one qualified supervisor. This means that instead of 5 or 10 licensed electricans doing licences electrical work, it was one supervisors responsibility to oversee the work of 20 "apprentices", for lack of a better word. Cheaper - yes. Safter? I find it hard enough to monitor my own work in an industrial environment, and not make mistakes, and make sure it's safe - when I am in charge of one apprentice my workload then doubles. I need to complete my own work in a safe, efficient and timely manner and I need to make sure my apprentice is completing his or her work correctly and safely. It cant imagine the stress involved in supervising 20 unskilled labourers doing the same electrical work which I had to complete a four year apprenticeship to get a licence to do, and which I am still learning about ten years in.

I have always felt like Australian qualifications are a little over the top, but these "over the top" qualifications come with a fantastic minimum wage, and the money we pay for services from these qualified people can really be seen (if you're lucky enough to have an honest mechanic/electrican/insert-trade-here). The fact that the current government is willing to compromise that service and the livelihood of these hardworking tradespeople, plus the services they provide to us the consumers, is really quite depressing. I need to read up some more on this CHAFTA because it looks like it will be a serious problem for the trade industry in this country and id like to be a bit more clear on the ins and outs of it.
    • Agree Agree x 8
  5. Slap in the face for all those hard working man and women out there. So you need no skills to be a mechanic or electrician? Wonder what minimum wage would become? Oh maybe it is ms Reinhart who needs motorcycle mechanics and joiner for the project in wa? Hmmmmm smells like someone would benefit from of Peking duck pancakes? But who may that be?
  6. Kurtz currently migrants entering the country under 457 visas must be assessed and meet a list of requirements which line their qualifications and skills up with the relevant Australian qualifications, which is totally fair as an Australian resident wanting to become a mechanic for example would need to complete a three or four year apprenticeship involving studies at TAFE or another recognised training organisation and the accompanying on the job learning that goes with that apprenticeship, before acquiring a cert III in whatever trade they were learning, then a certificate of proficiency from vocational training, then would need to take these qualifications to the department of fair trading along with proof of employment and work in the industry for which they are trying to gain certification, and then and ONLY then is their application accepted and assessed.

My understanding of the CHAFTA means that chinese companies with large projects in Australia will not need to check availability of local labour or hire that local labour for these projects, and will be able to bring migrants from their homeland in to the country on 457 visas, with extreme leniency being applied to their skill assessments regarding work in the 10 (for now) aforementioned fields... As a licenced electrician I honestly feel like the liberal government is slapping me in the face. Let's just hope that Australia and its residents decide to continue to pay for the quality training that I have put myself through instead of trying to save a quick buck. Until now I honestly felt that having a trade would mean I'd never be out of work, but the sad reality of this CHAFTA means that my working life, for one, may not be so straightforward any more
  7. Maybe we can bring in politicians from overseas on 457 visas,there definitely a shortage of skilled ones here .
    • Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. Hahahaha that's ace
  9. That requirement is the bit that has been removed from the 457 visa for certain job roles
  10. This is the part where it gets hard to understand. At the moment it's quite hard for someone to get accepted on a 457 visa so whether the CHAFTA will make that process any easier in any other ways is still not clear, however the fact that the mandatory skills test is waived for mechanics, motorcycle mechanics, electricians, and the other trades on that list, is preposterous. It may actually be easier to acquire Chinese residency and then migrate back to Australia, thereby skipping the four year apprenticeship otherwise required to work in these fields :-S
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. This is an attack on union labor, which has been the the liberals agenda from the start. I am not, nor have I ever been a unionist, in fact I believe unions wield too much power. But, this China agreement will only benefit China, and the large corporations of Australia, you know, the ones that are based in tax havens......
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. They wont be touching my bikes thats for sure.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Oh, I thought they were only removing their skills test once they got here. Eek.
  14. You refer to Investment Facilitation Arrangements (IFAs), which fall under a different MoU than CHAFTA (China-Australia Free Trade Agreement). Under IFA's, the business have increased access to skilled overseas workers, above CHAFTA allowances.

Total bollocks and union scare mongering. IFA's does not exclude any person or business from meeting visa requirements.

More bollocks and union scare mongering

In Victoria at least, there is no apprenticeship required to work as a motor mechanic. Electricians and other trades have the experience/apprenticeship requirement because it's a dependancy for being registered/licensed with the applicable statutory body. There is no such body for mechanics, and thus the apprenticeship for mechanics is a 'requirement' by nature of the employment available.
  15. So under what circumstances can the these "lesser" skilled "tradespeople" be employed?
  16. Why are they lesser skilled tradespeople?
    The can be employed under the same circumstances - being granted a working visa.
  17. I went to the union rally because having been employed in the electrical trade for the last ten years, and having paid union dues for that whole time, I often find myself receiving junk mail and wondering what the bloody hell my union fees are paying for, since it was the unions of my parents and grandparents that fought and won the conditions I now work under, and lately it just seems like a bunch of, as you say, union scare mongering.

Something I was very happy about, though, was that racism was absolutely not accepted, and although there was a bunch of Union flags and a bunch of Australian flags and a bunch of what I would describe as telegraph reading, ACA watching, bigoted, generally narrow minded idiots, there was also a whole heap of tradies there who at least seemed to have their heads screwed on alright, and who would simply not tolerate anything racist that was yelled out. A lot of shiit stirrers in the crowd but a lot of people who were simply upset with our governments treatment of us as a country, and obviously at these rallies it's hard to determine fact from fiction and fear mongering.

And the sarcasm in that last statement that you quoted doesn't seem quite as apparent as I thought it was when I first wrote it... But I meant that the four year apprenticeship is required to *become licenced* in these fields, not simply to work in these fields. I can't think of a way you can acquire an electrical licence without an apprenticeship and the associated TAFE and licence application through department of fair trading (in NSW at least)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. fwiw, that's a big barrier for people wanting to change trades mid-career (or once you have a mortgage :) )
  19. Most (all?) state government bodies registering/licensing tradies (eg. electricians) have recognition of offshore skills and/or experience and will issue provisional 'licenses' allowing the person to work as a supervised tradie, whilst they complete 'gap' training or assessment. Apprenticeship is the generally accepted, but not only, way of getting accreditation for those trades requiring it.

As stated, motor(cycle) mechanics do not have a registration/licensing requirement.
  20. Most larger companies offer "adult apprentice" wages now, though, so you could earn anywhere from $20-25/hr as an apprentice if you are over 21. But I do see your point - I am 29, single, debt free and no mortgage at the moment so I'm trying to save a bit to buy a place in the near future but I am working out all of the costs according to my current wage, which I have been increasing for the last ten years in this trade, and it would throw everything out if I had to go back to $20/hr...