Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle Maintenance course at Holmesglen b(MELB)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by twistngo, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Im very keen to do one of these courses, I have a habit of destroying things i tinker with.
    Its getting expensive now. but $170 might be money well spent.

But I dont have a bike as Im selling the 2fiddy and cant ride my VFR till Nov 25th.

bummer..........o hold on I have my cage test this week.

I will be doing one of these courses, prob november.

2. I did that course about a year ago and it isn't really a maintainence course but a "how the internals of a motorcycle work" course with a bit of maintainence when the guy brings a bike in in the last class.

Very informative and the guy will anwser any questions you have about bikes but it's not really maintainence until the last class.
  3. I found it invaluable when I had my ZZR250. After doing that course, I felt very happy replacing clutch and throttle cables and used to service it on my own, too. That was also the bike I changed chain and sprockets on (I know now why people pay other people to do that!!!).

I recommend doing a course like that. Been thinking I might do one again, although I don't really fiddle with anything on the Duke so may be a bit pointless.

4. Hmmm am thinking it would be a good idea but I will have to wait and see what roster / shift work throws at me. Plus cash after bikemart night & gp might be scarce :LOL:

Does anyone know of any over wesside ? Am too lazy to google ...
  5. I did the course and this is what I said about it then:

And I'd probably say the same thing now. Spend the money on a service manual for your bike and go along to one of the spanner days that are held occasionally. There's also this course at Kangan Batman TAFE which sounds more promising than the Holmesglen one.

I'd really recommend the service manual and the spanner days option though - it's cheaper than doing one of the courses and allows you to gradually build up to some of the bigger servicing jobs, with photos and step by step instructions of how it's done.

6. Like what has been mentioned above... highly recommend getting a copy of the service manual for YOUR bike (which if you are a tightarse) go to google and type in the model/make+manual pdf and you will generally find one. These are great if you can read.... some even have good pictures for those of you who can't read.

Really I feel the best way to learn what you are doing is to actually get in there, and give it ago and as such i am have spent a bit of time, helping out my partner, first change the chain and sprocket and most recently over the weekend, she installed her alarm i must say she has done a great job on both. Whether or not she can remember what to do next time she has to do it, I am not sure, but if not we will go through the process again. But it's like everything, the more you do something the more you remember and hopefully after doing it once or twice, she will remember the whole process and then she can do mine :wink:

Maybe it's time to have another spanner day, but maybe we just cover one topic each time? (ie. how to change a chain and sprocket or how to change your oil) but only one thing in a day.

Opinions from those that have run a day like this before.
  7. To the people who've done this course, do you think it'd be worthwhile for a scooter rider?
  8. Your entering a short course with little or no knowledge i assume? what do you expect? its a basic course for a reason.. if they go telling twits how to do too much the liabilty will be back on them when you overfill your engine with oil or put your wheel on backwards or something like that, you should come out of it knowing how to check your oil and lube your chain ect.

TRY going out and buy a 200 POS and pulling it apart and put it back together, if it runs afterwards ill make you a certificate and throw a small ceremony. then and THEN ONLY shall you be deemed fit to work on your own bike in any way shape or form.

OR the best way... tell one of your buddies you know what your doing, work on his bike then its his problem when you ball's it up and youve saved the service cost you shoulda just paid in the first place and the repair bill for his. that'll learn him for letting you touch it and will teach you not to piss fart around with things your not qualified to touch.

FURTHERMORE...... actually nah thats it.

lots of love