Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle hire in Spain??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by The Jabbo, Feb 28, 2008.

1. G'day fellow Netriders :)

Me and a friend of mine are looking to do a ride around souther spain in august/september this year...

If anyone has done this in spain, and could share any information with us it would be greatly appreciated!

Good companies to hire from and so forth..

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help/anything!

2. Tip 1
    Don't ride the day before a public holiday weekend unless you enjoy near death experiences.

Tip 2
    Don't go to Bilbao. Guggenheim notwithstanding, it's a sh*thole.

Tip 3
    North coast is beautiful and hasn't been f*cked up by/for hordes of pissed up Pommy bogans.

Tip 4
    Don't buy the wine that comes in Tetrapak type cartons unless you intend to cook with it.

Tip 5
    North coast seafood is to die for, even for a non-seafood fan.
  3. bought my first bike of a spanish guy here on holidays, I was to scared to ride as on my L's fresh from the rta, anyway he rode it to my place across the city Sydney in peak hour, i was driving in front , the worst traffic friday arvo, when we got to my place he said, very nice easy going traffic here, drivers in sydney very bike friendly compared to spain

um dont think ill be riding there some time soon

anyway did you know the Suzuki gs500 is made in spain, they might rent those out to you
  4. is it really???

I will look into that cheers :)

oh and bilbao is not on the agenda ;) haha
  5. I've only got one thing to say! Lucky Bastard!! :grin:
  6. Try these webiste's for hiring a bike:
    http://www.2wheeltravel.co.uk/Motorcycle Hire/spainhire.htm
    The south of Spain (Andalusia) can be very hot in August. Temps of 40° C are not uncommon. Plan your route carefully, always carry water, a liter of gas is adviceable when you go off-road.
    Some area's are so remote that your cell-phone won't work.
    The highways are very good, the Tollways are better (but boring), the secondary roads can be so-so to terrible.
    The coastline is nice but filled with hotels, appartment buildings ect.
    Absolute do: El Rocio, a small town with where only the road through is concrete, every other road is sand. There is a big religic festival (appr 500.000 visitors) every year in June, were most visitors travel by horse (and carriage).
    For the rest of year it is pretty quiet. There is a camping site nearby.
    Campingsites: most are along the coastline and have swimming pools.
    August is the holiday-season in Europe. However, most campings have small fields for one-nighters. Prices about EUR 25 for two a night, incl swimming pool. Can be sweet or salt water.
    There are inland campingsite's, check at local Tourist Offices.
    The mountain range Sierra Nevada is nice. Weather can go from sun to shower within hours.
    It's getter dark around 21.30 hrs.
    Restaurants are usually open till late, as the Spanians themselves prefer to have dinner at appr. 20.00 hrs. With the hole family.
    Also a 'must-do' the movietown where the first Clint Eastwood movies were shot, Tabernas, inland above Almeria, at the N-340 A.
    If you plan to go one month earlier, you can visit the biggest bike ralley
    in Europe: http://www.motoclubefaro.pt/
    But it still will be hot.....
    The local bike heroes ride like maniacs, the deathrate is rather high.
    Roads in cities can be slippery due to rubber/oil/aircowaterspill
    Beware that the siësta is still very common here 13.00 - 16.00 shutdown.
    Bike circuits in Jerez (south) and Valencia (east at the coast).
    Gas does around 1,20 EUR a Liter. In Gibraltar (English territory, very awkward) it's about 30/40 cents a liter cheaper.
    Also very nice: the old town of Sevilla, and the Alhambra palace in Grenada (get your tickets on-line, otherwise you need luck to get in) http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/ingles/inforgenrl/informain.htm
    If you like Sherry and how it's made, go to Jerez de la Frontera and check the local tourist office.
    Oh yeah, don't be surprised when cardrivers or pedestrians raise their thumb or make the V-sign. Motorcycle riders are welcome here.
    Oil: the standard oil 10/40W is not always availble at tankstops, but oil is oil. I filled my XJ900 with oil for dieseltrucks, no problem.
    Hope this is useful info for you.
  7. Guuten Tag!

how much oil does your Xj900 use that you have to fill it up with oil at tankstops, try a 20w50 oil and some gasket glue
  8. Holy shit dude!

thanks heaps, wicked information! I see you live in holland?? Thats where im starting my trip, I lived there for a couple of years in groningen a few years back, going to visit friends there then head south for some motorcycling action! :)

I have a feeling this is going to be a wicked trip!

Thanks again Mr Cheesehead :)
  9. 1 liter every 1.000 km. On a 7.500 km trip I needed 7 liters. The bike contains 3,5 liter by itself. So the oil was refreshed twice.
    Back home I used the normal 10/40W again and half a year later I renewed the oil and oilfilter.
  10. Agree with almost all "The Jabbo" said except the must do movie town which I thought was terrible! But if you're passing I guess you should drop in. Theres a race track near there too.

One additional place to go on the southern coast is Tarifa. Probably the last place that still has a bit of a hippie feel to it, no high rises and no big hotels. Cheap accommodation, good food/bars in the old town and a mecca for kite surfing due to the regular as clockwork afternoon wind conditions. You can also take a day trip to Morocco.
  11. Only a 1 or 2 miles west of Tarifa down the coastal road is a camping site. Opposite is a youth hostel, were lots of kiters hang out. For 10 Eur a night you can crash there. Very relaxed atmosphere, dinner is made together, everyone pitts in some cash, cooking by turns. Some folks hang out there for months, do nothing but kitsurfing and hangin' out.
    Tarifa is the most southern point of mainland Europe, you can see Africa.
    There is no highrise but all the hills are filled with windmills. Big one's too.

The only downsize to this location is because of the narrow sea-strait there are lots of Africans who try to pass in small boats. At night.
    Without navigation equipment or lights, and sometime got overrun by ships or simply got lost due to the strong current.
    This is a look from above Tarifa I took from a website:
    That small Isle is not Gibraltar, but an old fortress, still in use by the Spanish Army and Guardia Civil. Not accessable (at least not when I was there in 2005).
  12. Comments on the tips:
    1) Just go with the flow and take your rest. Don't do the 'don't get mad, get even' thing, you will die. Just go mad, yell, shout, use your horn, (the louder the better, same for exhausts) express yourself.
    2) Even in Bilbao folks like to drink. There are very nice bars just across the Guggenheim, which (the Guggenheim) occasional can be closed because of hired events (which happend when I was there).
    3) Very true! Also very green so expect a drop of rain from time to time.
    4) This depents. Some vineyards have an overproduction. They pack the surplus wine the cheapest way. So you can get a 4 star wine for a 0 star price.
    Buy at local wineshops or try find out where the local wine-co-operative shop is.
    5) very much true! Try the tapas-bar to explore, they offer small portions, so when you don't like it, it doesn't cost a foot and a leg.