Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle gear for off road vs road?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by TheYearOf2013, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hi everyone

I was spending quite a bit of time researching motorcycle gears like Alpinestars, Dainese, SIDI, etc.

I have a question about this. Im going to use an example to make this easier to explain.

Take a look at for example, Dainese Full Metal RS gloves. Surely these can be worn for off-road AND road riding right? However, what I am confused with is for boots and jacket and pants. Lets just use Alpinestars for this example. Those tech 7/tech 9/tech 10 alpinestars boots, are they only for off-road use? Or they can be used for road use? Same goes for the jacket and pants.

Apologies guys, I am brand new to riding, and I just feel that wearing these gears for normal road riding will provide quite a big amount of protection.
  2. My experience is off road you hit things, on the road you slide (and hit things). Road gear needs to protect you sliding down the road at 100kph or so. You can wear either but they aren't optimal.
  3. Off-road boots are generally more rigid than road boots, tougher around the sole and have less 'feel' than most road or racing boots. The clasps aren't optimised to slide and might possibly catch or break during an extended slide.
    Whether they are comfortable or suitable for road use is a personal choice. There are also some hybrid designs around intended for adventure use.
  4. Bike gear, like bikes, are usually designed with a PRIMARY purpose in mind. Sure, you can do a track day on a CB250, but this was not it's intended PRIMARY purpose.Same deal with gear - by all means go enduro riding in your 1 piece Dainese race suit...
    What I'm saying is - work out what kind of riding you do most, where it is, & how long you do it, then begin your shopping.