Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle crash test

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by icestorm, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Did a search nothing came up, after seeing this im guessing its safer to slide and hit the car or jump up if you can't stop in time.
    Was a 45km/hr test

2. #2 minglis, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Wow. Looks very .... Unpleasant.
  3. I felt my neck twinge while watching that. That dude is dead or at best a quadriplegic. I have given a bit of thought to this in the past. I'm of the mind that if i'm going to hit something head on I might as well jump and hope I clear the obstacle or for a low speed shut i'd rather lay it down and run into whatever at a lowish speed and allow the bike to absorb the impact.

But of course given the potential situations in real life you never get a chance to think about it.
  4. I don't know why they keep getting those guys to test cars and bikes - they're all crap and keep crashing the things!
  5. Thus the Honda Goldwing's airbag, I suppose! Though given how heavy a Goldwing is compared to its cross-sectional area, I imagine it'd shear the car in two and carry on unhindered - with its pilot still sipping a latte.
  6. although the airbag stopped him going forward he still face planted the car pretty hard
  7. haha.. I pictured that in my head while reading it.
  8. While this is true, I'd still rather have whiplash and a concussion than be dead.

Kinda hard to bail from a goldwing too, anything else I'd just bail from
  9. I should be able to answer this for you... having collected a couple, but my experience is you don't know it's about to happen. Instinct is saying something like "Look out! That was Close - Did you see that? That sucker nearly got us - [THUMP!]"

I was taught to do a thing where you lift yourself / jump and go over the car, but the thing with that was it used a small ramp about a foot high, a trail bike, very carefully set forward speed, and a landing pad. It was all set up first. I have often thought in the real world it would be better to try it than face plant the A-pillar, but if there's time to see it coming, you should still be trying to ride your way out of it. I mean, if there's time to pick a spot and tense up your legs and arms and jump, there would have been time to turn.