Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle convenience Questionnaire

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by licensed, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Hi,

My name is Leon Evans and I'm currently looking for people to participate in my research project. This project is part of my final year thesis unit for my Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) degree at Queensland University of Technology.

This study aims to explore the relationship between the convenience aspects of motorcycling and motorcyclists' intentions.

We are looking for motorcycle riders, who have ridden a motorcycle on a public road in Australia at anytime, to complete the confidential questionnaire that makes up this project.

If you're interested in participating, or just want to find out more, then please follow the link below. The questionnaire should take under 10 minutes to complete.

The link for the questionnaire is http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=SFYALrdrQy8yQab1gUakaw_3d_3d

2. I don't trust surveys. Especially those where I can't see the whole form before participating.

If you're happy to let me see the whole thing, I'll be happy to think about completing it.

3. finished it, although i always find these surveys from universities are always badly worded.

It can be understood in so many different ways.

Good luck with the thesis.
  4. Thanks for the feedback. :)
  5. Re: Motorcycle convenience Questionairre

Found the wording really bizarre... wasn't sure whether i was answering how i wanted to or not!!

Other than that, could be called the "filtering quiz".
  6. not to bad, i wanna see the results.. but if you send me spam S*^% im gonna come looking for you ;)
  7. Done Leon, will be interested to see what you do with this.
    Some good questions there re congestion, safety, fuel usage.

Understand if some of the people on NetRider are wary of surveys;
    apparently they have in the past been used by govt (or university studies sponsored by government), with the prior intention of "framing" motorcycle riders, to serve whatever ends they had in mind
  8. Done. good luck with it.
  9. If this survey can be used to support legislation in favour of filtering and footpath parking, I'm all in favour of it.

I agree that some of the wording is vague though. For instance, using a Likert scale for a series of statements that don't actually fit with the Strongly Agree - Strongly Disagree model, particularly with a 'Neutral' option in the middle. Like asking how much influence riding to work has one whether I wear protective gear. If it has no influence, does that mean I am neutral? Or do I strongly disagree? It would be better if the question stems were re-worded into something that you can clearly agree or disagree with. Either that or use a scale from 'Strongly influences' to 'Does not influence' rather than the Strongly Agree - Strongly Disagree scale.

Another thing that makes motorcyclists worried is when we are asked to report our near misses - usually because these are twisted to show that somehow we are to blame. I was talking to my wife yesterday about the other survey being discussed on the boards at the moment, and I said to her that I hadn't had a near miss in the past 12 months. She reminded me of one that I had forgotten, where a (presumably drunk) guy did a U-turn on Sydney Rd, pulling out almost directly in front of me. I swerved around him, giving a blast of my horn, and the oncoming traffic had to brake to avoid him and they honked him too. If I hadn't been watching him closely I might not have seen what he was about to do, so it could have been nasty. But if I was in a car it would have been nastier because there is no way I would have been able to swerve around him without hitting him or the oncoming cars.

When you reduce a story like that to '1 near miss' it becomes a statistic that indicates motorcycling is dangerous, rather than the truth which is that some people are ****heads on the road and being on a bike saved me from being in an accident.