Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle commuters happier and better workers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by V2, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Just read this. Got to say I agree, well 90% of the time at least - as long as no cager tries to stuff the day up for me!

Motorcycle commuters happier and better workers

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. #2 Al_Cam, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Usually true 'cause it's the cheapest, quickest most fun way to commute at least. But (vent follows)...

Yes you can carry a 9.5 kg desk-top PC home in a Kriega 30L on your shoulder:
    Acer in a Kriega.
    But it gets tiresome after 30 mins. Work PC and had just done the initial build yesterday. Did my usual trick of using LINUX to move the partition to shift most of the free space to the d: drive. Got the usual warning about changing an OS partition may prevent the device from booting. Yeah yeah yeah done this dozens of times without a hitch. Left it running overnight. This morning, wouldn't boot windows: missing or corrupt system file. Bug**r. Customized enterprise build so no choice but to take it back in the Kriega. Had a Doctor's appointment. Bag up and off. Low fuel warning: km to go: 50. No worries only about 20km before I can fill up tonight after work. Get out of the Doc's and switch on the ignition. Low fuel warning. Km to go: Zero. Double bug**r. Took a route to the office I've never used before, didn't see a single petrol station. Triple bug**r Half an hour of trickling in along with the fuel gauge agreeing with the trip computer. Happy worker?

Brand new bike. First time with a full tank after the liter or so the dealer put in. Looks like I'm playing reserve tank chicken.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Completely agree, it puts me in a much better mood for Uni. When I used to take the car, after sitting in it for an hour and then going around in circles for another half an hour trying to find a park, I was just about ready to turn around and head back home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Have to agree.

But that said, I much preferred when I was cycling to/from work. Racing through traffic on the pushie and getting the heart pumping on my 25km commute into work really put me in a fantastic mood for the rest of the day (especially if I managed a cheeky draft behind a truck for a Strava segment, hehe). Some mornings I'd even get up an hour or two early to tack on extra miles through the hills.

5. Doesn't have to stop 'cause you have an engine. Sometimes I come to a certain roundabout and turn right instead of straight ahead and add an extra hour to the trip home - via hills & bends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thought you worked from home? Still a good reason to commute to work - via Mt. Glorious I imagine!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I used to commute via motorbike when I worked at the other side of town - now working from home I still occasionally need to get to ride out for a coffee (via Mt. Glorious).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Got any rides planned for the weekend?

9. Absolutely. Once there's a bit more daylight early in the morning that'll start happening for sure!

10. Need to post up some pics of your new ride...

11. Nothing beats blasting the frustration of a days work away like a motorbike. The first quick hit in first and second gear provides the circuit break from stress to freedom.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12.  Top
  13. I'm certainly happier not having to get to work with my face in someone's armpit (tram) and WAY happier knowing she's just outside so I can go for a little burn to the beach at lunchtime if I like. But since riding I am approximately 200% less productive at anything that doesn't involve a motorbike. :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. This is not uncommon. Look how much crap we post here all day while we're supposed to be working....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Haha I thought you were just all unemployed. :D

16. time to become a postie.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Getting to work in the morning is a joy now that filtering is legal. I see people sitting in cars sipping coffee, talking to their phones just below window level as they think no one can see etc and i just cruise by on my merry way!

The feeling of leaving work on the bike is priceless. I get home in little over half n hour and its nothing but a delight.

Today's menu is a mix of 80s & 90s tunes for the ride home.. Bring on the weekend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Genius! What's the pay like..?? ;)

19. Always though being a bike postie would be a good job... chances are though I'd have to ride a pushbike and my knees can;t take that kind of abuse (or my cardio either... goes and gets another donut) ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I don't look great in fluoro but I'd live with it... If only it matched my current wage.

• Like Like x 1