Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle clothes....for Vegans??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Paulstar, Oct 16, 2008.

1. I dont know if this should be in the jokes section but the thought crossed my mind the other day.

Are there motorbike riders, who are vegetarian / vegan and therefore refuse to wear leather?

I know vegans never want to hurt animals and so on, i was wondering if there were any Vegans out there that would literally put their own hide on the line so that a cow may retain theirs??

Makes you wonder if 'squidders' are just animal lovers? :LOL:

2. i believe (now i may be wrong) that vegan's lack the required energy and protien to throw a leg over.
  3. boooooo

eat some meat! <shakes fist>
  4. Most cow hide from the meat industry is thrown away. So vegans should wear leather because it ensures the animals life is less wasted.

The same goes for Franfurts and Devon.
  5. Here ya go "K" :grin:
  6. I only eats Fran's. I've never eaten Frank's
  7. [​IMG]
  8. I've known at least one intelligent and principled vegan (and, yes, other types do exist) who made an exception for bike gear on the basis of necessity. This was a few years ago, mind, when there wasn't such a selection of excellent textile gear available.
  9. damb the nana server at work.
  10. http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

One of my work colleagues is a vegan, all his clothing is hemp, and he used to ride motorbikes - the answer was to go textile!
  11. hmmm - but surely any *real* fully fledged 'card carrying' tree-hugging vegan would shy away in disgust from any blatantly robust and non-biogradable fabrics such as NYLON? Thats totaly ecologically irresponsible...

What an interesting conundrum...!

Good job I dont suffer from this kind of social conscience! :p
  12. Nylon!? non-biodegradable, and made from the blood of the devil! :LOL:

Surely the most ethical thing to do is buy the most durable gear you can find and reduce waste. :grin:

13. I've eaten a Fran and a Frank. Gagged on Frank, saw Fran for a while...