Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle batteries

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jas33694, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Hi

I have a GS500 and replaced the battery in March of this year. The battery that was fitted was a Roadstar.

For the past week my bike has been unable to start on occassions and I have had to clutch start the bike. This morning I took it up to the local Suzuki service centre and without even looking at the bike was told it was the battery and that the Yuasa batteries were the best ones and it would be my cheap ass battery that would be causing me grief.

Since I know no better I have taken their advice and brought a new battery which they are going to charge for me and fit tomorrow.

I just wanted to know what other people thought about this situation...I thought maybe it could have been the alternator or something...
  2. Well did you get the charging system tested before you forked out for a new battery if not do it!!!!!
    Did you ask for a new battery since the old battery is 4 months old? Warranty on batteries are usually 12 months to 2 years depending on the brand.
  3. Yeah it's true that Roadstar are cheap Chinese batteries and the Yuasa or Exide ones are better, 4 months is much too early so either it's an early life failure or your regulator is borked.
  4. +1 to Smee, slightly dodgy that they diagnosed without a check of the charge system. But the battery is probably stuffed and Yuasas are better batteries. Have the charge system checked out though.
  5. After 4 months the cheap battery should still be good unless it's been left flat.
    Take it back to the place you bought it from and they should test it and replace it with a new one if its forked.
    Yes Yuasa are good batteries, when i sold them I'd tell buyers that a Yuasa should give you at least a year of trouble free service and I've known bikes with the same battery for 4 years. However the cheaper battery's should last 12 months and you might get 48 months out of a good one.
    The message being that it was normally other factors that caused the battery to fail.
    From memory we had less comebacks with faulty Yuasa's than budget brands.
  6. You should not have change your battery since it is just 4 months old.I think who has told you about the battery problem has cheated you for his own gain so ask him for warranty or if not do so then change the service station and also now buy the battery of only exide company.