Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Motorcycle Anatomy

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by MyoMan, May 24, 2015.

1. Hi all. So I'd love to learn about the ins and outs of my bike. I was never a bloke to tinker with an engine so I've never learnt any of it (funnily enough my dad was a teacher in mechanics). But now when I hear riders say this and that about their engines I'm a bit lost. I've looked on here and the interwebs but most of the stuff I find has American terminology. I have a Suzuki GS500 so I guess it's pretty basic engine wise. I'm not talking about a service manual or anything but actual motorcycle mechanics for beginners/dummies ;).
    If anyone has any info or anything to help me out I'll be very appreciative.
    Thanks so much guys

2. Happy to help (as I'm sure a lot of people would be), but there's a lot to a bike. Any specific bits you want to start with?
  3. Get a repair / maintenance manual and read it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. OK, here's a tip with changing the oil filter on a GS500:

Buy genuine Suzuki 0-rings. The K&N filters are cheaper and come with an O-ring, but it is a smaller diameter than OEM. The cover plate will leak, and you will get oil on the exhaust and it will smoke like a bastard. You will attemt to fix it by tightening the three nuts, and one of the studs will shear off. You will then spend at least an hour with a pair of vice grips trying to get the fucker out.

Also, gstwins.com is a great resource
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

5. !!!
  6. Doing basic maintenance yourself certainly teaches you the in's and out's of your bike.
    Start with the basics like changing the oil and oil filter then work your way up.
    - Try removing the tank and replacing the spark plug/s.
    -Tighten the chain
    - Pull your brake caliper apart and inspect/replace the pads
    -When your sprockets are toasted, take the back wheel off and replace the set + chain
    - Clean and reset the cam chain tensioner
    -Replace fluids and lube cables: clutch, brakes, water, speedo.

All of these steps only requires basic tools and mechanical knowledge and are relatively low risk. Youtube will basically guide you through rebuilding your bike. Other good things to do is start tracing piping and cables to different parts of the bike to see where they come out and what they plug into.

You never know when you'll be on the side of the road troubleshooting why your bike won't run properly or start, knowing the basics of what each system does and where its located is a life saver.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. The GS500 is a simple(ton) bike. It's not neccessary to remove the tank to change the plugs (air filter yes, but the plugs are super easy)

It's air-cooled.

Apart from that (and I'm being nit-picky), agree 100%
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The basics are usually covered in the Owners Manual of any motorcycle. This is usually a good starting point. For each motorcycle, they usually have a part number and a dealer should be able to get one for you.

Workshop manuals contain much more detailed descriptions of the bike - essential for any major work, and may require some expert knowledge or skills to use completely.

If you ask in the right places, you might be able to get someone to copy one for your GS500. Let google be your friend before going to a dealer. They know how to charge.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. All GS500 riders are broke, otherwise we'd be riding something a bit more exotic :p

PM sent
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Haven't found this consistent with my reality, have used them several times, leaked once and tightening the nuts stopped the leak quite un-dramatically.

If your clutch fails the plates are pretty easy to replace, https://netrider.net.au/threads/whats-been-done-to-your-bike-today.164943/page-46#post-2817682 My next job is either going to be valves or the front brake pads. Once you start doing things to it that end well you'll get more confident.
  11. Then obviously you're not doing them up tight enuf... Phht.

Seriously though, it's happened to me twice. But since I started using the OEM O-rings (still buy the K&N filters), I don't have to tighten them as much and no leaks (well, at least not from the oil filter cover plate).
  12. If you're starting from or close to zilch, look for some basic and generic motorcycle maintenance books with clear, well captioned photos. These will give you background that will help you understand the service manual for your own machine. A search of Amazon shows such books do exist.

The more you work on your bike the more it becomes your bike.

Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1