Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

motorcycle administration - dream job. but how?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Minority153, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Heya peoples,

Hopefully I've put this in the correct forum...

So I've finally figured out what my dream job is, to work in administration for a motorcycle place, whether it be a shop or mechanic, anything closely related would be awesome. But not a sales rep, I've been working at Safeway too long for that.

But I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to get a job like this? It seems awfully niche. And it doesn't help that I have virtually no knowledge of motorcycles in general, just what I've researched from when I bought my own bike.

But aside from the basic administration experience, and hopefully knowledge about motorcycles, what else would they look for?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. I know a dealership near me that has gone through 4 administration staff in as many months. It's not all beer and skittles, honestly. For every minute you enjoy being around bikes, there's 59 minutes of high pressure, fast paced, no mistakes grind. Sorry to burst your bubble....
  3. You could go work for someone like Repco or one of those kinds of places to get experience with stock , parts in general etc then go looking for something specific like a bike dealer, local workshop etc when you have built up some experience / knowledge.

Having the right skills and experience to match your 'ideal' job is what you're after at this point in time.

Another alternative would be to ask local repair shops if they have positions for office gopher where you can learn and earn..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. You should set the bar a bit higher for your "dream job". There are plenty of admin roles at the motoGP, Dakar etc.

Shoot for the stars. That way if you land on top of a mountain top you're still OK.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. In an Admin role? Event management yes i could understand...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yes. I work there....
  7. My wife is a Spare Parts Interpreter (Motorcycles) by trade, though she hasn't worked at a bike shop for a decade. She really enjoyed working in a motorcycle dealers and would go back to one in a flash. It's Certainly more pleasant than working for a car dealer.

But, as others have said it's not all beer and skittles. You have the dealer principle on your back about not spending too much of their money but still meeting your targets. You've got customers on your back who don't understand that you can't possibly stock every size of every brand of helmet, glove boot. They have even less understanding that "No we are an Aprilia dearer (or whatever brand) we don't stock Suzuki parts (or whatever opposing brand).

You have to be confident. You have to know what you're talking about, or at least be honest if you don't and then go and find out. You have to understand that the contrary to popular belief the customer isn't always right, but they should always be left with the belief they are.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. You ask, I deliver. No really, its ok, I love to serve.

Here's your job, now go apply for it. :D

What, you don't like that one, try this then..... http://www.seek.com.au/job/28381141?pos=7&type=standard

Ok now really I'm getting upset, you don't like that either, here's my final offer... http://www.seek.com.au/job/28430741?pos=4&type=standard

Good luck!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Minority153Minority153 what can one say other than all the best and good luck with it ...
    There is also an employment thread you may be interested in at the very bottom of the main forums page called Employment

chillibuttonchillibutton liquid gold-loving your work as always!! ;)

PS RRdevilRRdevil it's taken me about 8 months on NR but guess what - I understand now...:whistle:

10. Wow chillibuttonchillibutton thanks for doing the research. I really appreciate it. What words did you type into the search bar? I didn't see the BMW job when I searched at all.
  11. I hear there will soon be some openings at Motorcycling Australia... :whistle:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Um "motorcycle". And location "VIC" metro. Gonna apply for any?
  13. Lol, that simple huh. Well, maybe I skipped the BMW one when I was scrolling down lol.