Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycle Accident Scene Management

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ktulu, Aug 25, 2006.

1. I imagine some older riders around here know already, and there have been threads organising motorcycle specific First Aid courses in the past.

--[ Yes, I searched. Put your aerosol can and lighter away ]--

But THIS thread (or the video in it) made me so angry.

Several of you have probably done first aid courses etc, but there are a couple of very different things about being first on the scene for a motorcycle accident.

You'll see in that video that the poor crasher's mate comes over and turns his helmet towards him.
    I know, I know - he was worried, upset, he forgot, it's a lot to think about.

But don't break your friend's necks!
    If it's difficult to remember that - try harder.

Anyway, there's a motorcycle specific first aid course St Johns run, you can book here.
    But knowing that everyone's busy and has better things to spend their money on, here's a guide by some guy who did the course.

It includes instructions for safe helmet removal in instances where the rider is not breathing, choking, etc.

Motorcycle Accident Scene Management

Every rider should read that... at least so you know to kick someone in the nuts who's trying to get you to sit up after you wake up on the road.
    Or, look after one of your mates properly: so maybe they've got a shot at riding again someday.
  2. Thanks for that Ktulu. I've read the motorcycle accident scene management and it is a very thorough article. I've definitely learnt from it.

3. good post ktulu ill have a read of it
  4. Thank you for that link Ktulu, some vital information in there that everyone should read at least once.
  5. Nice work. Did a first aid at work a while back but when you don't use something you forget it very quickly.

Good read for a quick refresher .

Just dont ask me to tie a sling :(
  6. Post inspired me to finally go out and buy a first aid kit for the bike.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. A few things to remember at accident scenes.

You are more important than the patient, don't put yourself at risk, make sure someone is on traffic control duty well ahead of the crash to prevent someone running you all over.

If you're not sure don't do it you could make it worse.

If you know what to do stop and think about it before you do it and make sure it's the best course of action to take.