Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorbike Service

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by StringBean, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could give me a rough idea as to how much money I would be looking at for a service and a manual transmission service on a yamaha virago 2005 model. I know all mechanics probably have different prices for what they do but approx what will I be looking at?

Kind Regards,

2. I am fairly new to the motorbike scene, but since I have been riding I have found that when i'm changing up gears then accelerate it seems to jolt quite a lot and im not really sure whats causing this. I have tried releasing the clutch very slowly but it still seems to do it, when I accelerate.
  3. Check your chain tension. Not sure about yours but mine is 25-35mm. Should be in your manual.

(Just a guess from another noob)
  4. It seems fairly tight but I'll investigate it further.
  5. Be sure to check the tension at all points on the chain.
    Not uncommon for them to develop tight or loose spots if they've been neglected.
  6. There's no such thing as a manual transmission service on a bike. The gearbox and engine are integral (shutup you Hardley and German tractor riders).

If there is a problem with you gearbox, it is never a cheap exercise to fix it. Most often it means getting the engine and gearbox out and pulling the lot down.

I doubt, however, that is your problem. I'd be looking at the clutch adjustment and the chain tension (as mentioned above). Keep in mind that a tighter chain is not better. It needs to be within a range.

If that doesn't fix it, I would be suspect of the clutch. This is a moderately expensive job, but can be done with the engine in the bike.

A basic service, with a carbie tune, is probably roughly $300
  7. A basic filter and oil change on that would be about $180 to $240. Or if you do it yourself about $70 bucks. you would need to buy a 4lt 10-40w semi synthetic oil. The Castrol Semi for bikes @ supercheap auto is ac tually quite a good oil. Their full synthetic is great, but more for a sports bike and no need to spend that much for a V twin twofity. And an oil filter from your bike shop or Ebay. It really is a simple job and there are thousands of threads on Google on how to do it.
    Tightening the chain. The slack will be on a sticker on the chain guard or in your manual. Usually 25 - 35 on a road bike. The more suspension travel you have the more slack you need. Do it with the bike upright. Say leaning against a wall. Have the joining link on the top half. NOT on the bottom where you are measuring the slack. That really is important. And before you think you are finished and take off sit on the bike and make sure it still has play. And double check your axle nut is tight. Over tensioning a chain is the best way to throw bucks down the drain. And oil it when you finish your ride,,, when it is still hot or warm at least.
    Are you twisting full throttle when you change up. Is the jolt a boot in the bum or just a crunch. ???? Trying to work out if it is you or the pressure plates
  8. ...and don't forget the throttle free play. Won't cause a jolt, but can cause a delayed pickup which can feel a bit jolty. ;)