Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorbike riders language...what is a squid/squidding?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by LCGTR1970, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi guys
    this may sound like a silly question, but being new to this bike riding thing it appears theres a whole new language i now need to learn that relates specifically to bike riders...like for example people being referred to as a squid or theyre going squidding...what does that mean and why?

Also are there any other phrases or words you guys use that I may need to know to decipher some posts eg cages (i know means cars/car drivers), but what else is there?

2. omg... use the search function PLEASE
  3. I wouldn't mind knowing the answers to some of these things too, I didn't think there would be anything wrong with starting a thread like this.
  4. I think the search function could be used but new members should be given the benefit of the doubt and some extra help should be thrown their way. They are new and not as familiar with the site as the established members.

A squid is basically referred to a motorcycle rider that rides with no or minimal protective gear on.

i.e rides with sandals, shorts, singlet etc.

Let me google that for you
  5. Okay... sorry.

Now I'm going to get all paranoid that the threads I've started I should have just googled in the first place.
  6. I wouldn't worry about it. At least posting and asking questions you make yourself known and get involved, whether you could have used the search function or not. (y)
  7. This forums still much more friendlier then some I have come across in the past. I was new on a car based forum and asked a technical question and was told by at least 10 members of how and why I should have used the search function despite advising them I did and couldn't find what I was looking for..

That's also another reason why I despise cars : )
  8. There are however a lot of terms that could be addressed as a sticky. Even someone coming onto this forum with a bit of experiance will have trouble understanding a lot of the terms used whether biking or forum speak terms. Why not have a Glossery sticky where people can add commonly used terms. ATTGATT, Squid, cage, OP, IMO are a few that spring to mind. Yes google will usually help work things out but these please explain threads do keep popping up.
  9. Erm forget ATGATT... It's ATAGATT now.
    "All The Appropriate Gear All The Time"

And I know we go over such things every year, but that's because we get a dress group o noobs every year. Let's be a little patient with these guys that are new to biking. It won't kill us, and it's friendlier. Yes?
  10. He he, yeh. Save yourself the read of that thread and take Raven at his word for that. :D
  11. I thought the second A stood for awesome
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.