Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorbike Ramp?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by robeel, Feb 16, 2011.

1. hey guys,

just picked up my bike on monday, have till the 2nd to get a ramp & gear as will be getting my license then.

i will be keeping the bike behind a gate near the front door & my room window, problem is there's a 15-20cm single step at the gate so will need to get it up & down the step everyday.

any reccomendations/reviews on a ramp for me? & how much?

btw, it's for a rvf400 so don't know if it's such a good idea to just ride up/down it, don't want to damage the fairings.

here's a ramp i found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Single-Alumi...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f07002083

anyone use one of these? might be a bit much for just a single step?

here's a photo of the step: http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/robs770/Image119a.jpg that should work, don't know how to post pics on the forum yet.

2. just build a ramp with those few bricks next to your gate
  3. that little white dog is about the right size
  4. You'd be surprised how much an ol' plank of wood can hold, especially if you brace the middle of it with say... a brick

The picture isn't loading currently either, but don't spend that much for a ramp unless you're loading it onto the back of a ute or trailer regularly
  5. If it's 20cm, probably two steps will be needed. the rvf has quite a low fairing.

Maybe rip a couple planks off a pallet or stack a few pavers. You could do the pavers in three steps to make it smoother. Or just find a board of ply from somewhere.
  6. I had a RVF 400 (with tyga kit so much lower) and my place had a step to get it in and out the back yard, I just rode it up and down, and only if i put too much weight on it did it catch a little, it wasn't quite 20 cms maybe 15 max but if you wanted (i did on occationm wehn I was backing out) i place a brick there and it did the job. just remember when pulling in to hold enough inertia to get you over brick and step with out too much speed that it could damage the wheel/tyre
  7. get yourself a piece of used railway sleeper from a garden supply shop. 60 or 70cm long should do, prop it up on a couple of solid bricks, paint it yellow so nobody trips over it and move aside when not in use.
  8. Being Italian I love a concrete garden, get a couple bags and make a good solid ramp across the whole width of the step.