Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorbike garage door remote

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ngalbrai, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Having just moved into a place with remote control garage I have been using the little remote but its a pain to have to remove gloves to find it in pocket every time. Is there such a thing as a waterproof bike specific remote that can be operated with gloves on that you can unobtrusively mount on the bars/elsewhere?

Have seen writeups of taking a remote and wiring it into the high beams on your bike, ingenious but way beyond my technical abilities.

Any ideas?

2. There are water resistant remotes available from Bunnings. I had one with a huge button, easy to find and push in the breast pocket of the jacket whilst on the bike. It wasn't water resistant but put it inside a freezer bag and it doesn't need to be.

3. There is a system around that operates from your headlight flasher (Pass) Look HERE

4. ^ very interesting. but I'm too much of a cheapskate to justify spending $80 for a remote :p

i usually keep my remote in my jacket's pocket with the buttons facing away from my body, and just button-mash the thing from outaide the jacket, with gloves on. only one of them will work at a time anyhow.

neighbors might wonder why i keep rubbing my tummy leaving / entering the garage though.. lol

5. Ya, I just carry my remote in my jeans pocket, I never have a worry using it riding around the corner towards my driveway.

6. Decent magnets and a small zip lock bag will do the job.. or even velcro instead of magnets.. cheaper than a happy meal !! :D

7. If your bike is loud enough and your missus's can hear you coming..... I think it answers itself really :)

8. Kinda reminds me of this.. A BMW remote garage opener..

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1. What sbk said,

2. Remote on a clip on your belt, you can punch it as you get close.

3. Sound horn until the missus comes out, if she complains turn around and go for another ride.

10. I have a small remote that I just clip onto my ignition key (2 cars, 2 bike and only 2 openers so it goes to whichever vehicle I use on the day). It is weatherproof if not watertight so a bit of rain won't hurt it. Don't think I'd take it swimming though. It is very easy to operate with gloves on.

11. I bought an etag magnetic pouch for $15 from eWay. It's waterproof and very strongly magnetic so it just stay on the tank. Put my garage opener in there and it's been great

12. i can vouch for toadcats solution as being the best idea. i have witnessed the features and benefits of this product on several occasions, and endorse it wholeheartedly.

13. I wear a lanyard with the garage opener and my bike key goes on it whenever not in the bike.