Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorbike etiquette

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Kawasakiboy, Feb 2, 2016.

1. I am really enjoying riding too and from work.
    Getting a head knod from other riders really makes my day! And it makes me feel like they are there to lend a helping hand if ever I need one on the road.
    So cheers to all! :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. excellent just remember don't nod to the scooter set we try not to encourage that sort of behaviour :p
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. For one awful moment I thought this was another nodding thread, but it's not, it's a knodding thread so that's ok.
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. A wheelie is just as good as a head nod to a fellow rider ;)
  5. fixed
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mate, some of the scantily clad ladies riding scooters in inner Sydney, you'd nod at if they were riding blooming Great Danes..... never mind scooters. ;-)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mmmmmm scantly clad lady riding a great dane :confused: that must have been Ol' Mcdonalds farm the sequel !
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Excellent. Just don't get all butthurt if some riders don't knod back or even nod back. And make sure you put you left glove on first......
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. I nod most riders, unless they are revving their throttle and riding like morons, then I do the ignore, carry on and get as far from them as possible. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Well u wont be nodding at me then.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I nod at cops. There, I've said it.
    They never nod back. Maybe they put the wrong glove on first. Or they're too busy trying to look cool to each other.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Haha I do too, even had one nod back although most don't.
    A) they're on bikes so what the hell, why not
    B ) I'm in marketing/sales. This is called pre-emptive strike. I am putting some positive 'energy' or whatever you want to call it in their system - they are highly unlikely to turn around and pull me over*.

*Disclaimer - have not tried this marketing technique while drinking expensive coffee....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Will you get in trouble if your riding and you wave at a cop on a bike?
  14. Probably not, but a real price could potentially pull you over and tell you to keep both hands on the bars. Unlikely imo.
  15. I usually give a quick wave to police (motorbike or car) if I see them on the side of the road doing their job. It's only an inch or two off my left handlebar, so not waving like a goal umpire, and most times I get a nod or some kind of acknowledgment in return.
  16. In the country I give a wave to police as I go past them. It makes them wonder what I've been up to. ;)

I have about a 50/50 hit rate with waves back. When you're in the sticks, I figure it's good to try and have good relations with as many as possible. If your bike brakes down, or you come off - there's a much higher chance that you may need to rely on the person you just overtook a few mins ago, etc than in the 'burbs to give you a hand...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. I'm a (k)nodder, I nod at most riders (and the odd scooter accidently hehe). I'd say 70% return nod, HD don't usually but I've had a guy ride past, huge ape hangers, skull bandana, mean looking HD and gave me the biggest nod I've ever had, I almost fell off my bike!

I've also nodded at our local bike cop and got the nod in return. He has a Drift camera as well and so I almost feel like I have someone on the "inside" in case I get pulled over with it on hehe.
  18. This is where intercoms are great for getting responses:

First rider - nods. Reports action back to rider a few hundred meters behind. If there was no nod - 2nd rider knows that different strategy is required: The bird coming from the 2nd rider normally gets some looks and responses. ;)

FWIW I haven't actually done this - but can imagine the WTF reaction of some of the riders. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Sooooo.... suppose I have this "friend" who puts his right glove on first. What should he expect might result from this inappropriate action?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. He might put his left glove on second.

Just sayin'.