Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorbike Accident q's

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 30, 2005.

1. I have done a quick search on this but I didn't come up with anything.

Everybody is talking about there first accident or the first time they dropped their bike. Is this something that everyone does ? Or is it made worse by learners think too much about when and how they are fall of instead of trying to avoid the accident ?

Also what is Highsiding, someone in another topic meantioned it and said that you wouldn't want to do it ?

2. A highside is where the rider is thrown over the top of the bike in a crash.

Watch crashes from motorbike racing. Most highsides there are caused by the back wheel sliding, then suddenly gripping and kick back the opposite direction to where it was originally sliding. This sends the rider up and off.

A lowside is where the front wheel loses traction and slides out, cause the bike to lay down.
  3. I doubt whether everyone has an accident, but there is a possibility of it happening at some stage. If there is an element of rider error, then it can be productive to analyse, the person's actions and results in the process of learning. :)
  4. Two very thoughtful and incisive answers for you Tim.

Crashing is not inevitable, but it is possible. The problem with crashing a bike is the greater potential for damage and injury vs a car crash.

The big factor is contributory negligence; most of us bounce up (if we are able :D) and swear it was someone else's fault. That's rarely 100% the case, and the trick is to learn the skills to AVOID accidents before they happen, and minimise the rider error.
  5. Old saying... there are two sorts of motorcycle riders...

"Those who've fallen off and those who are going to fall off"

If you are in the 2nd group delay it as long as possible by adopting riding habits that minimise your chances of falling off.

Another old saying... "there are fast riders and old riders but very few fast old riders"

Take your time on the road... it's not a racetrack and chances are you'll live longer!.

Don't get me wrong... you can have fun riding... and have a bit of a hoon... just pick your time and place.

Peak hour traffic isn't the time or place to be doing 100kph on the back wheel :)
  6. I think most crashes are due to one of the following factors:

- Other drivers doing something silly
    - Rider's survival reactions taking over, panicking
    - Incorrect or inappropriate application of brakes
    - Poor bike condition and maintenance
    - Over zealous riding
    - Bad luck (wildlife etc)
    - Unfamiliarity with bike
    - Lack of understanding of bike physics

So it comes down to experience - the longer you have ridden, you can start crossing a few of those things off the list. An experienced rider isn't immune from bad luck and his own thirst for thrills, but can reduce his risk over time.

I try to make a concerted effort to understand the dynamics of how a bike works - a lot of people think they've got it sussed when they figure out what countersteering is, but they have just scratched the surface. It's a constant learning experience for me, and little peices of knowledge make a huge difference out on the road.
  7. Most crashes can be avoided....

There are several things you can do to avoid accidents..

1. Avoid dangerous situations on the road (dont ride in people's blind spots).
    2. Get some education... Reading a Keith Code book is a good start, or doing a cornering course at by a training company.. This will help you understand what the bike is doing and why...
    3. Dont over estimate yourself... Despite being dressed all in leather, you are not the guy from the matrix...
    4. Look after your equipment... (look after your chain, look after your suspension, look after your tires)
  8. I think you owe it to yourself to have a couple of really big stacks. If you don't, you're always going to feel left out when the campfire conversations start.

Plus, when done properly, stacking provides an excellent opportunity to replace your bike and/or protective gear if either have fallen out of fashion - and all at the expense of your insurer. It's the perfect crime.

What's more, it's crucial to push your bike beyond its limits so that you know exactly where these limits lie for next time. Discovering your limits of cornering clearance in the wet, for example, may require a few lowsides, but is well worth it in the extra speed and confidence you will pick up.
  9. :LOL:

remind me not to lend you my bike loz
  10. You need to add - Stupidity

I'm sorry to say it, but a not insignificant number of accidents are caused by that last factor.
  11. I was happy to include 'stupidity' in 'over-zealous riding' but if you insist, it can have it's own sub-category :)
  12. Plus chicks dig scars. Just ask my girlfriend. She loves me more as a mangled and twisted mess rather than pristine and good looking.

Or thats what I hope...
  13. I have had a number of offs and the majority of the time its been when stupid cars pull out in front of me score so far cars 2 writen off 1 minor damage Bikes 1 written of 2 minor damage Me 1 screwwed leg
  14. you also forget netrider outings and rides :LOL:
  15. I saw a bloke lose it mid corner once. He realised he was going down and kinda jumped off his bike grabbing a conveiniently located sign post which he spun around for about 270degrees (yep, just like on a cartoon) while his bike slid about 20-30m down the road (after which it was rooted). He didn't wash off all his speed going around the post and when he came off it he grazed his hands, but all things considered it was sort of a successful tactic I thought.

Is this the kind of thing you mean Loz, he would get a new bike, and have a great story to tell his mates :)