Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motolite Project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Kobo, Mar 31, 2013.

1. G'Day,
    I've been thinking about building a project bike for a while and I have this old XL185 Honda that I found under a house my son was living in a few years ago. So I thought I will start out with something simple and turn this into a Motolite Race Bike. A very basic racer with no fairing to start with and see what happens evolution-wise.

I have purchased a set of wheels/brakes and the complete front end from a GPX250 Kawasaki and I have a couple of seats to try out. One I made myself way back in the mid 80's and the other I bought from Omodeis, a now defunct motorcycle parts shop near Central in Sydney, back in '72 for a CB72 Honda250.

I'll have to put some rear-sets on it, Tygas look suitable, and I have a Staintune exhaust from an XR150 Honda that I might shoehorn into place...
    Let the fun begin,

Below are the motolite specs taken from my club's website:

MOTOLITE SPECIFICATIONS

(Race bikes, MX engines, Production Race Frames, Oversized Superlites)

CLASS

One class combining

110cc Air-Cooled, 2 Stroke.
    85cc Water-cooled, 2 Stroke (Power valves OK).
    175cc Air-Cooled, 4 valve, single cylinder, 4 Stroke.
    200cc Air-Cooled 2 valve, single cylinder, 4 Stroke.
    160cc Air-Cooled 2 valve, twin cylinder, 4 Stroke.
    160cc Water-Cooled, 4 valve, single cylinder, 4 Stroke.
    185cc Water-Cooled, 2 valve, single cylinder, 4 Stroke.

All engines allowed NIL% capacity tolerance.

ENGINES

ENGINES: Any engine conforming to capacity and valve constraints under
    CLASSES: And to be Mass Produced Production Models.
    FORKS: Any diameter, conventional or upside down.
    FRAMES: To be manufactured or Mass Produced Production Models.
    BRAKES: Minimum of 1 front disc brake.
    TYRES: Are to be D.O.T./A.D.R. approved.No tyre warmers.
    MOTORS: Can be Carburated or Fuel Injected.
    Fuel Injection/Ignition modules allowed.
    ELECTRONICS allowed:
    Tacho
    Temperature Sensors
    Lap Timers to the retail value of $700.
    No other form of electronic aids will be allowed. ( i.e. Speed shifters,data loggers etc ).

TRACK PROTECTION

Handle bar ends are to be fitted with Nylon Slider Minimum of 25mm in outside diameter with at least 20ml of Exposed Slider,
    Footpegs (Folding) Nylon Protection extending beyond footpeg length and thick enough so that the footpeg bracket does NOT contact the ground if peg folds,
    Footpegs (Fixed) Nylon Protection on end of peg, same diameter and at least 20ml longer,
    Rear Nylon Slider can be attached to Axle, Swingarm , Bottom shock mount, exhaust bracket or muffler.

NO PART OF YOUR BIKE MAY MAKE CONTACT WITH THE GROUND WHEN BIKE IS LAID ON ITS SIDE, THIS INCLUDES ALL LEVERS.

All other rules are as per M.O.M.S. Read Them.

Kobo :cool:

IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Rear sets and, possibly later, a fairing...

Kobo :cool: staa-0013-4ede8076. bpfs-0094leftfront-2acbeecf.