Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MotoGP weekend and camping

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by BoostJunky, Jun 20, 2007.

1. So Ive decided I have to do the MotoGP and Im thinking I will camp trackside for the weekend.

How is this? Id imagine it would be quite the party there?

Seeing as how I dont know a single person in australia as of yet, I may or may not wind up going on my on depending who I meet along the way.

Any recommendations or tips? Im thinking ill buy my GA tickets and camp spot online today.
  2. You will meet lots of people at the gp weekend - people are quite friendly normally. Netrider usually has a contingent at teh gp as well - some will stay in houses away from the track, a few stay by the track. Depends on what people want. I've camped at one motoGP before, and it is a great party. I wouldn't rush to purchase your tickets unless you can get the early bird rate - not sure how quickly they go, but I am sure you will have time when you arrive.

As for meeting aussies - just show up at a netrider coffee night and you will meet many.
  3. We live 5 minutes from the phillip island track and we have camped trackside 3 times in the last 4 years. Had to miss last year because of work, but still went out there when we got a chance to catch up with freinds who were camping.
    The attmosphere is amazing in the camp grounds. everybody is freindly, no matter who you follow, or what you ride. We ussually cook up heaps and swap the food and coffee with anybody who has extra fire wood.
    The Bands that they put on for campers entertainment are ussually reasonable.
    The food from the food vans is as over priced as it is absolutely crap. but its only 3 or 4 days, and if you go prepared ya dont have to eat it lol.
    Dont expect a lot of sleep, as just as you doze off at 3.00 am somebody will let off fireworks pretty close, or do laps on a homemade motorbike with a lawnmower motor, or a motorised 3 seater lounge suite.
    You will smell of smoke the whole weekend, but you will have the time of your life.
    We have always got our tickets as we entered on the first day. Not sure if you can book your spot, in the past it has always been first in best dressed, it may have changed though.
    I am sure you will have a great time no matter where your tent is set up.
  4. hey darkstorm..will have to catch up for this...or before this :)

Are you camping there this year?
  5. We probably have met before or at least passed each other in the street seeing as we live on the same island lol. You would never know. I work with Barn who has met you a couple of times. I never knew he was a NR member until a month or so ago lol.

Dont think we will be camping this year, I am sure that my wife will have to work seeing as she works in hospitality, and this is Phillip islands busiest weekend. She is working on getting the sunday off though so that we can get to the track for the race. Depending on what shift she works on saturday we will try to get to the track on saturday as well. We will just have to wait and see closer to the day exactly what our plans are.

Would be good to catch up with some people from NR, if the opportunity arises. Either before or during the GP weekend.