Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MotoGP: Rider form

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Deadsy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Crash.net has a nice set of photos of different riders from the same angle and I decided to select a few for a comparison of the differences in body positioning among the riders.

It's interesting how they differ, with Hopkins looking the coolest and most aggressive as usual(well, imo).
    Hope you found it interesting. :)
  2. What I find interesting myself is that a number of the riders look slightly crossed up, but it's clear that this has little impact on how fast they go given where they are. It's important to get the inside elbow down, relative to the bike. Aside from that though, where your butt is relative to your upper body (off the seat a long way and looking crossed up, or more inline) seems to be less important.

Take a look at the body positioning of Mick Doohan and Troy Bayliss one day, and they both appear to have crossed up styles as well, and what I've found myself is that the further over you get your upper body, the more you tend to yank on the bars to move your upper body across during corner transitions to change direction. It's harder work. It's easier to use the strong leg muscles to haul the lower part of your body from side to side. I personally find that it's more controlled.

The guy on the #21 bike looks to have the most aggressive upper-body positioning being almost elbow-down, but it really loads up the inside wrist painfully and you have to hold on more firmly with both hands to stop from falling to the inside of the bike which tends to inhibit finer steering control.

Just my 2c.
  3. Great pics!

I noticed the crossed up thing too.

The guys I regularly watch motogp with are probably sick of me saying this, but look at the outside leg... not a one has a knee jammed into the tank. The locking onto the bike with knee into tank is the CSBS taught technique of locking on.

How are they guys locked on with a knee flailing in the air? Thigh and calf pressure??

I find these subtle differences between techniques that work, fascinating.