Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MotoGP Engines Downsizing

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by dan, Jun 6, 2005.

1. from http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/06/04/motogp-engines-downsizing/

MotoGP engines downsizing
    MotoGP engines will be reduced from the current 990cc maximum to 800cc beginning in 2007. The FIM proposed a number of rules changes including a change to the pit lane ride through procedure which now will not allow stopping and also, beginning at Catalunya on June 9th, the 125cc and 250cc classes will no longer be allowed 2 way radio communuication.
  2. Bad news for the smaller players.

Also banning 2-stroke engines from the MotoGP class.
  3. Any news on why?

Seems funny to me, as it will loose connection with production bikes, a tenous as it is already.
  4. The downsize apparently is a push by Honda in theory to make the bikes safer, but they themselves admit that the 800cc bikes will, in two or three years be as powerful, if not more so that the current breed of 1000 (990cc). I can't help but think that Honda will perhaps try and phase out its range of larger road bikes. Also the VFR750 and VTR750 have now been made VFR800 and VTR800 haven't they? Perhaps they are trying to be able to filter some of the race technology down onto the 800cc race bikes that were once 750cc
  5. surely all we'll see is a reduction in max speed on the straights for a few years... The slightly lighter weight of the engine will see the bikes probably just as quick through the corners.
  6. It's a stupid idea, it will actually make the bikes more dangerous because they'll have to go chasing revs which will make them nastier to ride than a 2-stroke 500 GP on acid.......in the wet.
  7. Nodz, the VTR1000 has always been that capacity as far as I know. The VFR800 is 781cc, don't ask me why *shrugs*.

All the reduction is capacity will do is slow the rate of advancement for a short while until the engineers work out how to squeeze more from less.
  8. I have a sneaky suspicion we are going to see the three-stroke coming along VERY soon. No, this is not a gag. yamaha has been working on it for a number of years......

If this comes off, the 800cc 3-stroke will put out power figures in excess of 250BHP
  9. I think it sucks!
    Surely MotoGP's appeal is that they are amongst the biggest and scariest bikes around.

I'm sure the engineers will have them running just as fast. It's just that 800cc doesn't have the cache of 990 or 1000.
  10. I have only heard of the three stroke with diesels.

Thanks Mitch, something else I can look up when I get bored (which is now I guess)
  11. Haven't Honda already built an 800cc GP bike that they're testing?
  12. Oh well it just means that the Superbikes will be the main game for a lot more people. I am a believer in keeping parallels between the market and race bikes. So unless everyone starts building new 800's, people will still want litre bikes.

I personally want to see motogp an true open class. If I want to crank my turbo hayabusa down the straight at 370kph, then that should be encouraged. :LOL:
  13. It might also mean the MotoGP bikes will be slower than WSB's around a given track....weird.
  14. This is probably going to hurt the smaller manufacturers such as Suzuki, Kawasaki and KTM/Proton. It cost big bucks to develop a completely new motor and I think Honda are pushing for this to give them some advantage back over Rossia and Yamaha.

It would be interesting to see some 800cc engines tuned up to hand grenade like power curves!! Back to the days of the fire breathing two stroke monsters were only a select group of brave (or stupid) men can tame them. :twisted:
  15. And then it would TRULY be the Across Handbag of the big Bore Bikes coz of its increased size ability to INCLUDE a handbag under the tank :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :p :p :p :p

Cheers 8)
  16. True but the Moto GP bikes don't have any really similarity with the production bikes now as they HAVE to be prototypes. So that means we will never ride these puppies anyway as they are not allowed to be mass produced, hence prototypes. Well thats the take on it as I understand it to be.

The ONLY thing getting around at the moment that is the same is the WSK. You ARE able to buy those out of the crate so to speak

Cheers 8)
  17. It is actually a very secret plot by Team Kawasaki... some years ago when it was just the ZX7RR battling it out with the V-Twins in SBK a hint was dropped by the then head engineer for Kawasaki, a Mr I.M. Chee Kee at a clandistine meeting with Mr Honda. This idea, which I have been sworn to secrecy on, has been worked on by Honda, who did not realise that Kawasaki were also working on it... This was the reason that the ZX7RR was battling away for so long. And why the Ninja has struggled to compete... it is really the ZX8RR and is ready for 2007 to become World Champion. Valentino will sign to ride this bike as it will be his ultimate challenge...

If anyone takes this seriously please come and have a look at a nice Harbour Bridge I have for sale... :LOL:
  18. Shit a brick buckets, what did you go and tell them that for...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: