Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National MotoGP Dani Pedrosa & Honda

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by AJV80, Sep 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. #1 AJV80, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    I have always wondered why Honda have kept Dani Pedrosa around for as long as they have. He has some brilliant moments and seasons but overall his performance isn't really spectacular. He has been with Honda and in the Premiere class for about 10 years now and just signed another 2 year contract. That will make it 12 consecutive years with Repsol Honda.

I can appreciate that his physical size more often than not doesn't help him, being so small and lightweight is fine from a weight saving point of view but he is racing in a series with tyres designed to suit the proportions of the majority of the field and he is also at a disadvantage with shifting his weight on the bike seeing he only weights 51kg. Not his fault and given his results with this in mind he is doing really well, but his size disadvantage is also not Honda's fault either.

He is a second rider now and seems to be a good consistent one but in all that time has nobody potentially better come along to fill the role, someone who could do the second rider gig and also have some potential to go on and be more successful than Pedrosa. Like Crutchlow perhaps?

I doubt he will ever actually win a championship in MotoGP though he has come second on more than one occasion and I think Honda probably realise the same.They obviously keep him around for a reason. Does he offer great feedback for development of the bike, or do they see merit in his consistency as a second rider or a bit of both? Do they want a second rider that doesnt challenges their lead rider to much? Is it a case that they are happy with his results as a second rider, and no other teams really want him so he doesn't cost them much to retain him? Does he have some dirty photos of Shuhei Nakamoto doing something that involves a cucumber, curry powder and a Thai ladyboy?

I don't really know the full story behind him and Honda, Interested to hear other peoples opinions.

Dani Pedrosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Tyre differences and every other consideration aside, Danny had has the best or near to the best bike for ten years and has never looked like winning the Title.... Nothing in the next two years is likely to change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don't know the facts, I tend to agree he has been a disappointment and should have achieved more. I have always put his longevity down to the power that Repsol has in the Honda/Repsol relationship. Repsol are a Spanish company and want a spanish rider. However the multiple levels of feeder racing in Spain, from a very young age, tends to create a large pool of talented riders so you would expect that others would be ready to move into that position as the junior rider.

There is a lot to be said for experience as a development rider and he certainly does have that so perhaps your idea that he give good engineering feedback may be a possible reason. Certainly he has continuity with Honda MotoGP bikes going back 10 years now and with smaller class Hondas for many years prior to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 CraigA, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Spain is massively into motorcycle racing.
    He is Spanish.
    He brings Spanish money with him.
    Repsol is a Spanish brand. Having Danni there satisfies the relationship requirements (whatever they may be) and has allowed HRC to retain their sponsorship while also rotating world champion team mates through their garages who may not have got the chance otherwise.
    He doesn't rock the boat. There has never been a team wall up at HRC or any public bitching about team mates or his competitors. I can't remember him kicking other riders or even doing anything remotely reckless. Seems to be a good team mate.
    These circumstances are why he has been able to keep his HRC ride.

That's all I've got.

Fwiw there have been years when he was shaping up as a real title threat and then things have conspired against him. He deserves a ride. He wins three races a year on average, which is more than most of the field. Not sure that he deserves the ride he has, but he deserves to be in MotoGP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sounds like you've answered your own question there. Crutchlow is 30 or so, so why change if he's not going to have longevity. I'm hoping they're giving Jack time to mature then put him on the premier bike. Aussie's on Repsol's have a good history - and we never sank the Spanish Armada

6. #6 AJV80, Sep 29, 2016
    Interesting points, I always though Ducati kept Hayden around for so long due to him being an American and helping their sales in that region more over his ability. I remember seeing him at Phillip Island in 09, Casey on the same bike was winning with Rossi down his throat, Hayden who had an off into turn 1 was struggling to catch the back markers. His engine sounding like he had his TC dialled up to 11. I wouldn't put DP in the same boat but see your point in having a Spanish rider being important to them.

7. #7 AJV80, Sep 29, 2016
    This year with factories required to lease full spec bikes to private teams, the introduction of unified ECU's and software and the tyre lottery at each race has levelled the playing field, at least for this year anyway. I don't think any of those factors are going to make it any easier for him to win.

8. Yeah Hayden was definitely in MotoGP at that time partially because he was from the US. He had wont e title, unlike the other yank in the field that year ( Edwards) and Spies wasn't yet on the scene (he won WSBK in 09 on an R1 before jumping over to MotoGPin 2010 from memory). Having a local in the mix with previous results definitely boosts interest from a large market like the US, which converts to $$ at the end of the day.

Worth remembering though that no one but Casey could do what he did on that bike. Hayden on a competitive bike was a competitor, so its a little harsh to judge him on the rides he was getting post HRC. The guy can ride!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. What Stoner did on the Ducati from 2007 to 2010 was truely amazing. I'm of the belief that most to this day still do not really get how monumental an achievement everything Stoner did on those bikes was.

The thing with the Ducati engine is that it was more rideable on the GP7 before they increased the intake inlets on the GP8 and made a smaller problem much worse. The GP7 was a good bike, but not a great bike. It had a shitload of power on the straights yes, but using it on corner exit was another story altogether. Stoner didn't exploit the engine's strengths as I would argue the engine didn't really have any strengths other than producing a lot of power on a curve that was unusable in anything other than a dead straight line. He tamed the power by dragging the rear brake which is not the same as exploiting the power. Also on the GP7 the handling was somewhat suspect. The front had a tendency to want to get out of shape on corner exit. You could see it wobbling quite a bit....and that's without even discussing the understeer issue the Desmo's had. The trellis frame he won a championship on was horrible it lacked good feel, they switched to a carbon frame on the GP9 or just after from memory - which Stoner actually thought had potential but nobody else could ride it. In fact Stoner even admitted when it wasn't set up perfect within its narrow window it was a biatch to ride.

MM is amazing, and he has done well this year to be winning the championship with his bikes electronics having issues with taming power on corner exit, but his achievements with it this year are dwarfed by Casey's efforts to win a championship on the GP7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 AJV80, Sep 29, 2016
    Interesting you mentioned Spies, he showed promise during his wildcard entry at Valencia and he was a hot topic in the paddock. I felt he was a bit of a letdown based on his performance when joining the series, maybe it was due to all the hype surrounding him and it being hard to live up to.

I have always liked Edwards, he never really had much success in his time in the series though, he took a few podiums but never any wins. He just seemed a pretty straight talker without a huge ego. Hayden was much the same but had more success in the series. He did win a championship and nobody can take that away from him, but i always felt he didn't really win it convincingly with only 2 wins in that year. I think some of the other riders being injured helped all the planets line up for him to win in 2006. He only won 3 races in all his time in MotoGP although he did take quite a few podiums, most other riders that win a championship and hang around in the series that long tend to take a lot more wins and are subsequently retained by the factory teams.

But yes, I definitely wouldn't say he is slow, he was on some pretty poor rides including and after Ducati. I think he did well at Aragon to not come dead last given he wasn't used to the bike or the tyres.

11. #11 CraigA, Sep 29, 2016
    I think a lot of people who follow MotoGP closely ( even Rossi himself eventually) recognised how great his achievements were once Rossi tried to emulate him on the red bike and failed miserably, except for the die hard one eyed Rossi fans who just wont hear anything bad about their demi god!

There were signs there before Stoner left Ducati though. The fact that no one else was close to competitive on that bike kind of hinted at the fact that it was not a great bike. It was confirmend when Rossi left with his tail between his legs though, despite Ducati throwing more money and resources at him than they ever did Stoner. In fact it was Stoners success that held the bikes development back I believe in a weird kind of way. Why would a small factory like Ducati throw big bucks at bike development when they had a rider that was winning on it? The Italians believed that it was the riders fault that they weren't competitive.......until Rossi, who had won world championships on two other makes, could only manage a podium here and there on it and was often finishing mid field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I don't know why everyone rags on Dani Pedrosa. In his 10 years in Moto GP his worst year was 5th in in the championship is his rookie year. Every other year he has finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Think about to whom. Rossi, Stoner, Lorenzo and Marquez. People with such extrodinary talent they are labelled Aliens.

He is fast, he is consistent, he is personable and in a conservative company like Honda, what more can they ask for.

CC

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rossi sure got a big shock when he first test rode the Ducati, they changed to an aluminium frame on his and Burgess's advice after his results where below everyones expectations. Have to admit though, the Ducati has really improved and in the last few years results have shown it to be quite a competitive package. I doubt it would be as competitive as it is now if they had persisted with the the carbon frame and not changed to the aluminium.

14. A winner ... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I know what you mean, his results are good and consistent and every now and again he has a great race and a win. Of the 4 riders in the factory Honda and Yamaha teams, Pedrosa is definatley the one id say has the least chance of winning the Championship and I'm sure Honda would see the same. Nothing at all wrong with that Honda are most likely not bothered with it either, his consistent podium results help them win constructors championships. I just would have thought a high profile team like Honda would opt to have young blood with promise in their team, they have Marc now as the lead rider who is consistent enough (this year anyway) and can win them a championship.

I was surprised they signed him for another 2 years, i very much doubt they will keep him on after that. Who knows though, I also never thought he would be with Repsol for 10 years.

16. You forget Jack Miller is contracted to HRC. There is your up and comer, Pedrosa for consistency, and an Alien Marquez.

CC

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 AJV80, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Marc Marquez
    1407624980007-inidc5-6gj3z136wrb14vfao4wm-original.

Papa Quez
    BYoTYO4IIAAeIc7.

Baby Quez
    Alex-Marquez-mundomoterocom.

And the disruptive Goldilocks
    valentino-rossi.

18. Jack has the most important season of his career coming up in2017, even if he does well and finishes in the top ten I don't know what factory rides will be available to him, unless something happens with KTM. I don't think going to KTM so early in their development will do Jacks career as much goos as a more established factory team would.

19. I still dont understand him talking about his weight. He is a professional sportsperson. If he needs to be heavier change your body...
    He can come round mine for a few weeks and I will put him on a strict beer and pizza diet. Problem solved! Seriously Im sure he can change his body. I cant see why he cant put 10kg of extra leather or weight his riding gear if its that much of an issue and if he that weak that he can support the added weight in his leathers then hit the gym FFS.

Its pretty obvious that Dani is kept because he is Spanish. This is clear by the fact that Jack is now trying to pass himself off as a Spanish by talking like a dip sheet every time he is interviewed.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Funny shit, me and the missus where just saying the same thing about Pedrosa last night, he might have a weight issue but there are many options for him to fix this ... McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks. The taller guys like Redding and Rossi (who is looking like Skelator BTW) have much harder work to do to deal with their weight issues than just having to eat more ice cream.

I piss myself every time I listen to Jack do an interview, he did it last year as well, he sounded Aussie when at Phillip Island and all the way up to Jerez in 16 then his accent starts, Channel 10 will need subtitles soon. He needs to be careful if he keeps doing it he will end up with big caterpillar eyebrows like that Espargro.

• Funny Funny x 1