Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MotoGP Control Type Proposal Whinge

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by [FLUX], Sep 27, 2007.

1. Just gotta rant to get this off my chest. Apparently it's being proposed that there will be a control tyre rule for MotoGP, meaning a single tyre supplier.

This, to me, just smacks of a knee-jerk reaction. For about the last 20 years Michelin have utterly dominated the premier motorcycle racing class, so much so that it's almost become a given. Want to win in MotoGP? You need to run Michelin tyre. Now, for the very first time in a very LONG time, we have a different tyre manufacturer in the lead. Now, to put this into perspective, Michelin shod bikes still hold positions #2 and #3 (and #8/#9) in the championship, so it's not exactly a bad position to be in as a tyre manufacturer. About the only thing that's different this year is that it's not Michelin on top.

It seems that this is too much for some people. Now there's a strong push to have a control tyre to make racing "fair". Heck, it was considered "fair" for about 20 years when Michelin shod champions dominated, but NOW it's not fair when the two most current Michelin shod champions are outdone by a Bridgestone shod rider?

Politics? Knee-jerk reaction? Dummy-spit?
  2. Now I don't know much about how the teams go about selecting a tyre, but wouldn't each team select the tyre that they want?

If so it's just another decision that might pay off, or it might backfire...just like choosing to pit in to exchange bikes when it looks like rain, or choosing a specific engine configuration and associated parts (or running a pneumatic valve powered bike in a race which explodes :p).
  3. The problem with control tyres Haggis is that there is no incentive for the manufacturer to improve. In Formula 1 Goodyear were the only tyre supplier in the early 90s and the rubber that they handed out year after year didn't change much at all which was a big limiting factor in car development.

As far as the MotoGP reaction goes I think it's just sour grapes that Ducati and Bridgestone have upset the natural order. It's been all about Jap bikes on Michelin tyres for so long that people are getting upset that their winning formula has been messed with.

Michelin and the Japanese manufacturers simply need to try harder.
  4. What would really suck is if they did go for a control tyre and Michelin won the contract. :mad:
  5. You seem to forget that it might indeed be Bridgestone who win the control tyre battle!

When Michelin were winning all those championships, they were the only tyre company in the game. In effect, there was a single tyre rule, as none of the other majors took part and none of the teams capable of winning would take a chance on a new tyre company.

F1 has a single tyre rule (Bridgestone). WSBK have a single tyre rule (Pirelli).

Dorna have an interest to keep the competition exciting. With only 19 bikes taking part, it's already extremely expensive and sponsors are next to nowhwere to be seen. The escalating costs associated with tyres and the ever increasing need to compete are only going to make things worse.
  6. Bridgestone supply Suzuki, Kawasaki, 1 Honda team and Ducati.
  7. If the push is coming from Michelin, that would only be because they are confident that they've got a deal already in their pocket, IMHO.
    Usually, it's the lesser teams that push for control tyres, because they believe they are not getting access to the same product as the class leaders (which is usually true). May be the satellite teams are behind this.
    I think that F1 has a single tyre supplier simply because the competition withdrew, rather than being pushed out (?).
  8. I'm dubious about the relevance GP development has for road tyres, and my priority is to see close racing at all times. From my point of view, while the tyre war this year has been interesting in itself, the end result has been inferior racing at a number of circuits where Michelin couldn't get its pants up.

So for my vote, I'd say go for it. In fact, I'd like to see them all racing on the same bloody bikes.
  9. Half of the field are Honda's anyway :p

Having raced against 4 other riders on similar bikes, it's berluddy frustrating!
  10. F1 definitely has a control tyre. Michelin might have withdrawn anyway, but the rules stipulate the number and type of tyres with only one supplier being available.
  11. Surely that tech would trickle down into the tyres that us mere mortals can buy for the track. In turn, some of those tyres are tamed a little for road use. Surely?
  12. I dunno, they're so finely tuned for each individual reactrack and set of conditions now that I'm not sure they have any relevance to us mortals anymore. Prove me wrong.
  13. No can do.
  14. You could even make the case that they have less relevance than the control tyres for Supersport. A full race slick that is multi compound doesn't need any wet weather properties, doesn't need to last more than 100km's, only has to work at a very narrow temperature range. A racing wet is made of extremely soft rubber, is only designed to work in fully wet conditions, is grooved around the edge of the tyre and lasts the same distance.
  15. I agree Cejay.
  16. Interestedly Michelin pulled out of F1 because they didn't feel a control tyre was the way forward...
  17. That's it I'm not buying Michelins.

GO SHINKO !!
  18. Politics aside, I think control tyres are an excellent idea. Having run in a series with a control tyre, it's good to know the blokes up front haven't got an edge due to being on a different manufacturers tyre. Tyres play a massive part in motorsport.

Even if control tyres dont received as much development due to no competitors, everyone's still running on the same tyre. And there's still the prospect of getting re-contracted so they still have to perform.
  19. Mark stands solelmly next to Javaman with tattooed Shinko fist raised in the air.

On a serious note, several years ago, it wasn't just the case to be on Michelin tires, but you had to be a favoured lead riders from certain teams to even get the best Michelin stuff. These new rules are a way of introducing control tires (ie. you have to nominate your choices before race weekend), but it allows multiple tire suppliers to compete. Best of both worlds I reckon. This year, Bridgestone just got it right a lot more than they got it wrong. I can only think of three rounds where they got it really wrong (Sachsenring, Assen and some other round I think...).

And I agree with Flux, that it is a simple knee jerk reaction on Dorna's behalf.
  20. The call for a control tyre is because tyres are seen as the limiting factor. Why you would discourage ongoing research and improvement (to the limiting factor) by removing competition is beyond me.