Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National MotoGP control ECU

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Roarin, Mar 19, 2014.

1. http://www.mcnews.com.au/motogp-control-ecu-from-2016/

Excellent news. I hope Honda gets their panties in a bunch and leaves. Good riddance :)
    Should make for some interesting racing. Hopefully.

2. Agree with the ECU and fuel allowance but the tyre rule is ludicrous.
  3. Which part of the tyre rules are you unhappy with titus? Softer tyres usually make the racing a bit more tactical and interesting. Waiting to see who's saved a bit for the last couple of laps sprint to the line. As opposed to the last few seasons trend of whomever basically hits the lead in the first couple of laps winning.
  4. The bit where if you start doing well they take them away from you. It's one thing to give what amounts to an economic advantage to inferior teams in an effect to level the field, but these tyres rules are in effect hobbling.
    I'm all for rules that bring poorer teams up to a level standard, but not those that bring the top teams down by handicapping.
    I would prefer to see a pool of tyre choices that every team is able to choose from, based upon their own strategy..
  5. good one stoner. now look what youve done. go back to ducati and end this schmozel.
  6. This type of thing is why Stoner left, he didn't like the way the formula was going. It is sad to see the premier technical class hamstrung by these kind of restrictions. I say the rules should be 2 wheels, if you can make it run on moonbeams & unicorn farts more power to you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Agreed. The fuel rationing was the biggest travesty to hit motorcycle racing. What a load of cr@p. We want to see racing, not economy runs. Weight limits I can understand, as that gets out of hand real easy, and becomes mega mega expensive. The open bikes have already proved that more fuel can make up the difference in electronics, and this is why Honda have got their knickers in a knot. They use the excuse that they use the tech on road bikes. Bullsh!t. Their SS & SBks are about the least technologically endowed of all the manufactures. P!ss off Honda.
  8. Unit prolink swingarm, big piston forks, balance free shock, these are things that Honda have taken from racing. Just because they haven't taken away the purity of the motorcycle by ruining them with electronics doesn't mean there are not infinite things in their road going bikes that have been developed in motogp. One would think by those standards BMW should be owning WSBK or have the best motogp bike in the field, but it just isn't panning out. From an engineering perspective motogp limiting fuel require teams to run a bike leaner to save fuel, this means heat, which means direct need for better alloys in engine to sustain that heat without fatigue, this leads to better alloys in road going models better fuel curve for the same HP or more whilst withstanding the heat gain
  9. You missed the point. Honda cracked the sh!ts and said they would leave, because of the CONTROL ECU. ELECTRONICS. Hurry up and leave.
  10. #10 RRdevil, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    So did Yamaha, so stop playing games. Hondas own developed ecu from motogp does feed down to its road bikes, just because they don't fit TC and launch control etc to their road bikes doesn't mean that the main function of an ECU (being controlling the engine) doesn't take technology from research in motogp from their factory race ecu tech. Don't be so naive.

You are the one who has missed the point, you claimed Honda SS and SBK are the least technologically endowed simply because they don't have TC and,other electronic piggy backs to the main function of the ecu (controlling the bloody engine), continue the naivety you are providing me entertainment.
  11. #11 RRdevil, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    It seems to me that Honda are in the best position with their tech, Jorge Lorenzo requested a test of the open class Yamaha because Yamaha are having problems with fuelling and race distance with 20L in the prototype class. Whilst Marquez has already done race simulations at as fast or faster pace than last year with 20L without fuel issues. I can see Yamaha going open class (which should not be allowed) so they get the extra 4L, what a joke. Points should be given accordingly, factory bikes get full points, open class gets half points. Yamaha factory riders complain about tyres, Bridgestone has to react. When Michellin were given the boot Honda had to design out front end chatter to deal with the harder Bridgestone carcass, they didn't complain to get their way, can't wait for the yellow fairy to retire. Maybe then we will see some real racing not the shell (and the focus on the show only) that is used to be.

On the ECU, Ducati are playing games too. They have gone open class so they get the extra fuel, but the control ECU is to their factory spec anyway (by deal with ezpeletza), so effectively Ducati are racing what is a factory bike with the extra 4L of fuel. The only downside of the Ducati deal is that their ECU specs are shared with all open teams
  12. It's just about pandering to the green Nazis, can we please just have racing bikes racing???
  13. Fully agree
  14. You are showing your age here, Hornet.

Bikes racing, as in the sport of motorbike racing, died quite a long time ago, now it is spectacle, colour, movement, all business and entertainment, nearly as bad as the F1 cars.

Yeah, sure, in the old days, when you got the best rider of the time riding the best bike of the time, they'd keep winning..... what a surprise!

But that was too boring to sell well, so all sorts of crappy rules and sub-rules were dreamt up to "knobble" the best bike of the time.

It all sarted going down hill when "they", the organisers, started to tell engine builders how many cylinders to use.
  15. I can
    I can get that, and I can understand the rules to stop Honda building oval-piston mega-engines, and Suzuki building 8-cylinder 125s, but now we're just tugging the forelock to the enviro-lobby when a whole race meeting uses less fuel than a Jumbo jet sitting on the runway waiting to take off.......