Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MotoGP 2006 - Round 12 - Gauloises Grand Prix Ceske Repuliky

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by VtrElmarco, Aug 18, 2006.

1. The interminable mid season break is a trial for all MotoGP fans. We are really getting into a seasons worth of gripping racing, when Dorna decide to pull the rug out from under us and give us nothing for a month. I tend to take up drinking professionally and robbing service stations to make the time pass faster but the riders on the other hand allow, there battered bodies to heal, and shag paddock girls till they can’t stand up.

Soooooo off we head to the Ceske Repuliky for the Gauloises Grand Prix at Brno, a favorite among the riders. It could be due to the 14 flowing and undulating turns linked together with short straights and changes in elevation. It could also be the super gorgeous Czechoslovakian grid girls that populate the area this time of year. The layout places a premium on front end feel while a very tractable drive out of the turns is also important, Brno can get very hot and the tires could be placed under extreme pressure for this round of the championship. It will rain now I’ve said that.

Nicky Hayden heads into this round with one hand firmly clutching the world championship. With Rossi’s run of bad luck still continuing, the likable kid from Kentucky has done all the right things (Donnington excepted) and now holds the unenviable position of not being able to screw up for the remaining 6 rounds of the championship. Go Nicky!

He will be chased mercilessly by Rossi and super boy wonder Danny Pedrosa. Rossi’s bad luck run is going to end, and he has still won the most races this year, but DNF’s have hurt. He will be looking just to shake things up for the remaining 6 races and has nothing to lose. I am going to put my tin foil hat on and say expect to see some Repsol team orders come into the equation if Pedrosa happens to lead Hayden at any time. Melandri is still a dark horse and is riding as good as he ever has.

2006 has been a season for Ducati to forget. Massive pre season potential has been let down by some bad arse injuries to there riders, as well as underperforming Bridgestone tires for most races this year. They will be looking forward to help develop the tires with Bridestone for use next season I think.

Suzuki has gone the other way. Poor pre-season form spelled a lean 2006, but some solid improvements to there bike as well as John Hopkins and Chris V. riding outstanding, they have pushed the Suzuki further than I predicted this year, and are only let down by the Bridgestone RACE rubber (The qualifiers rock...)

Kawasaki has been a no show this year, and the change to 800 cc next year will only hurt the poorer of the Japanese marques. The surprise package of the year has been Kenny Roberts Jr. He looks revitalized on a bike with a decent amount of go and Dad looks super stoked. Expect to see Casey Stoner offered better equipment by Honda or a factory ride with Yamaha, but I think Colin Edwards is set for a triumphant return to World Superbike. Although how cool would it be too see Colin and Troy go at it again at Imola on some fat world superbikes(Greatest Race Ever!).

I’ve purchased a slab of some obscure Czeke beer, a carton of cheap Gauloises cigarettes and will settle down Sunday night and drink in celebration of the return of MotoGP.
  2. Wooooo Hooooo.....the drought is FINALY over.

Cant wait to see what the last of the 6 races produces as the first part of the season has been a complete corker.

Be interesting to see what the Rossi/Pedrosa mix will bring to these last races, it would be disapointing to see team orders come into the mix re Pedrosa/Hayden.
    Better to see each fight it out on their own & run a fair race with others as well, however........ as Scumbag often comments, I live in a bit of a dream world sometimes, one can only hope.

Excellent write up as usual Mark :grin: :grin:
  3. thanks for the update marc and the revup.

was there a pub in richmond people have been going to to watch it and is anyone going tomorrow night? i think i could actually make it this time!!! looks like it starts at 6.45 ...