Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Moto Ink Honda VLX400 Steed Bobber or Braap as first bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by greatwolf, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and doing my research on bikes. I will be doing my L's next week. I've done it before but let it lapse.

I'm fairly short (5'5) and the first time I rode a bike, it was a Virago which I thought would be comfortable given my height. For some reason I found it very awkward to ride(could have been first time jitters). However, when I tried a Honda VTR250, I found it to be a more comfortable ride.

Now, I'm looking at which bikes to buy. I know I'll try a few before I buy but would like to make a shortlist. I'm leaning towards the Moto Ink Honda Steed 400 bobber as I intend to keep it for a while. I drive/ride slow don't see myself upgrading even after I get my full licence. Has anyone had any experience buying from Moto.Ink? I can't seem to find reputable reviews online.

The type of riding I imagine myself doing would be a mix of intercity and cruising type with a small matt to sleep under the stars.

Thanks for any recommendations.
  2. I think they are linked with Sumoto & they sell grey imports.

The bikes tend be old, spruced up given a new compliance plate then sold.

If you type sumoto in search you will find many threads heres one thread

Sumoto Motorcycles: An Insider's Perspective

I would stay away from them
  3. Take the time to go around various bike shops and sit on as many different bikes as you can. I'd suggest something more 'universal' like the CB Hondas, but there are more sporty options as well such as the Kawasaki Ninja family and several others. Take your time choosing as you'll have it for a year or two, but also remember that you'll only have it for a year or two, not a lifetime.
  4. Buy a VTR250! The only drawback for long slow trips I've found is that it can be a bit cramped. You said you were 5'5 so I doubt that will be a problem for you. If you want to go faster an SV650 seems to have similar ergo.
  5. Honda steed is old, heavy and slow. The braap is a muck metal piece of shit. Buy a vtr.
  6. Don't buy from a place that targets learners/first time riders, specifically if they are located north of Melbourne. Have a look at the Honda CB400 or Suzuki GS500 as these tend to be reliable bikes.
  7. That was quite a read. Thanks you for sharing. Will steer clear of them as I am interstate(Sydney) as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. happy to help I must admit when I first looking my first bike I thought about sumoto.

For as long as it takes to google them that is and when you see more bad reviews than good its best to move on

Good luck on your search try as many as you can
  10. So...passed my rider test last week and just need to do my knowledge test but began bike shopping today.

I went to Gasoline in Alexandria and got on a Mercury (same company as Braap I think). The height was perfect for me. But reading everyone's opinion's on them, I don't think I'll get one.

So far, my shortlist are the following:

Yamaha Virago
    Royal Enfield
    Honda Shadow
    Yamaha MT-03
  11. that's a good list try them all and get the one you enjoy the most
  12. Then again the Honda CB400....yum.

I remember telling myself that I wasn't going to get a Harley until I'm on my full license. I got on a Street 500 today just for shits and giggles and lo and behold, it was perfect. I would've seriously considered it until me and my buddy spoke with a well meaning Harley owner at the shop. He advised, "get a cheap bike for your L's and P's and upgrade after your P's.". Sound advice I reckon.

But man, that Harley was perfect.

The search continues. Seriously considering a CB125E for my L's and P's. Just to get it over and done with.

Argh...it doesn't have to be this hard.