Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by doggyguinness, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Ready to book in for the MOST test for Ps (NSW). Anyone done this on a ZXR250, I've been told I will struggle with parts. Would prefer to use own bike than hire one but don't want to do test twice either.

2. i did mine on my zzr which is a big tank of a bike...it seems hard but they teach you everything you need at the course before you actually do the test - i messed up a fair few times and still passed but you might get a jewbag of a instructor so best of luck

+1 for doing the test on your own bike...the instructor at my mob mocked the people renting bikes for taking the easy way out
  3. Thanks mate, I'll keep practicing and then take the gamble on the day.
  4. Go to an empty carpark and lay out the 4 MOST elements to the same specs as the test is done to - then you will KNOW if you will struggle or not.

It's a good idea to make it harder when you lay it out for practice, ie, tighter U turn and cone weave. That way you shouldn't have any trouble with doing it on test day.
  5. are ZXR's much more bum-up than ZZR's?... like gearing, turning circle and geometry for low speed stuff... will it be a problem? I used one of their bikes when i did mine with q-ride... think it was a GSXR 400 (minus its fairings and lights) and found that compared to the more commuterish 250's most of the guys were on it just didn't like the low speed stuff... not as much lock, crap geometry and when they tried to get me to let the clutch out while turning in second the bike stalled and i dropped it lol whereas the 250's gearing was shorter so tight figure 8's in second with no clutch was easy (i did it with both bikes).....

who cares if the instructor says you took the easy way out, you wont stuff your own bike, and i dont think "do it on the hardest bike available" is one of the criteria...
  6. it's not but if it's the bike you will be using on the road don't you think it ****ing stupid to be taking the easy way out if your simply not capable of doing the same thing's on your own bike?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. depends what the test is.... in the real world if you're a little unsure about a u turn you can always put a foot down... nobody will fail you...

also not everything on the test applies in real life eg. theres no friggin way i can do tight figure 8's within a confined space in second gear on my RSV4... it was on my license test but in the real world i have no use for it.

but you're right, if theres something that you're not confident on with the test then you should absolutely consider practicing it on your own bike to geta feel for it... and if its something you have to do in real life, like weave or brake you should practice it till it's down pat.

edit: i wouldn't do the test on my rsv4 cause i'd probably fail....
  8. IMHO it's worth practicing to pass it on your own bike. Some bikes require a little more finesse than others, but it can be done. There are lots of videos on Youtube which demonstrate how to perform *really* tight turns at slow speed. :)

The people running the MOST want you to look cool, at the end of the day. Duckwalking a heavy bike through a 3-point turn on a heavily crowned or cambered 7m wide road is uncool (and sometimes physically impossible, or likely to result in a drop). The RTA wants bikers to look cool. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Do you understand that some bikes, regardless of size, simply do not have the steering lock available to do the U turn, regardless of how good the rider is.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I don't think the test is for "what you'd use in the real world" ie: figure 8, but more for checking/testing your clutch/throttle control and balance.

As it's been said over and over on this forum- practice,practice,practice. When you think you've got it down pat, practice some more. All you need is an empty car park, a measuring tape (if you're pedantic), some coke cans and sidewalk chalk to mark out the stop lines etc - nothing special.

For real? which ones? I don't want to get a bike that I can't get out of tight situations because I can't turn the thing...
  11. Aprilia RS125, some of the early monsters, I reckon my wife's SV650 would struggle with the U turn on the test.

But my Bandit can do it with room to spare.
  12. Which is why I'd recommend trying to break 100kph at least once during the test, it'd be f*&king stupid to take the easy way out and ride slowly.

Having 1 or 2 beers before hand is also a good idea, if you're allowed to be 0.05 on a full licence then doing the test at 0.00 is also taking the easy way out.
  13. So if the handling is shyt on these bikes, why are they road legal? Isn't that putting the rider at risk?

Anyway doggyguinness, maybe think about taking a lesson at the HART training centre? They should be able to help you ride your own bike properly...

I agree with crisis.. and I thnk most people will/do
    so JD, I'm not quite understanding where your coming from with this post?
  14. As my instructor told the group...........if its in the LAMS list then the bike can pass.......now stop your whining and farden the f up heheh........BTW I added the last bit :).

I think the hardest one to pass would the the Hyosung 650 cruiser, but some has passed with flying colours using those.......
    • Like Like x 1
  15. That if using one of their bike is somehow taking the easy way out because you'll be using something else on the road - then you should do all the other things you'll likely be doing on the road during your test as well. :)

Bonus points if you can somehow work in either a wheelie, or some lanesplitting.
  16. lol mate you HTFU :LOL: ahaha... just kiddin'..

I was being sarcastic about not buying certain bikes.. I don't think there's really a bike out there that can't do a uturn/figure 8 etc.. It's the operators skill level that comes into play - not the bike design.

*quickly puts on the NR flame suit*

17. It is taking the easy way out............their bike was like a bicycle, youd fall asleep doing the course.

I actually had a try on one of their bikes when doing my MOST, just curious and shits and giggles (no I didnt pay to do one lap of the course :p)..........I was glad to be back on the cruiser. As far as I was concerned, it just wouldnt make sense to ride a bike that you wont ride on the road.
  18. the test is defiantly do able on the 1990's race rep bikes, but will take a lot of practice to get right. Also if you do the day course, where they teach you how to pass the test. Doing the manoeuvres over and over again can quite quickly cook your rear brake or clutch or just overheat.

I would give it a shot.

EDIT: i have seen a guy on a full size harley touring bike pass the 5.5 meter u-turn (tighter than the NSW tests 6.1) when i did the MOST test in the ACT (where the bike is legal, no cc limit)
  19. Still don't see why anyone would want to make the test more difficult. I mean either:
    a) You don't yet know how to ride. In which case a MOST test isn't about to instantly teach you, even if you do use your own bike. Or,
    b) You are reasonably competent on a bike. In which case your only priority should be getting the test over and done with as quickly and easily as possible, so you can get back to learning how to ride even better.
  20. Priority should be learning while you're a learner - not rushing to get a P plate.

What do you gain by taking the MOST test? About the only thing I see is a 10km/h speed increase. Which, if you're not competent on your own bike - you shouldn't rush. You can stay on your L's if you redo the upright course - but again, if you don't have control of your bike for basic things like uturns after a year, then .. well.. I'll leave that up to you to fill in..