Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MOST motorcycle checks (levers)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Notorious_Noob, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Hi guys

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking at booking my MOST test soon. I had a question on the brake/clutch levers that will be checked prior to the testing officers allowing you to use your bike. My clutch had the end snapped off when I purchased it and my bike was missing the chainguard. I have purchased on put on the chainguard, however with the clutch lever I wanted to check if there are any specific requirements for the lever itself (e.g. does it need the knob at the end)? I was looking through the ADRs and couldn't really find anything.

I had bought these levers and was wondering if they would allow me to ride with these?

Thanks for your help!

2. Personally, I wouldn't fit them at all. Too sharp on the ends.

Whether they would stop you on the MOST is up to them. It depends on who is doing the checks. Some are thorough and some are less picky - chain guard, no obvious bits falling off, tyres etc.

If it was me and I saw those on I'd say "go away".

Get yourself some with rounded ends and it won't be a possible issue.
  3. Those ebay levers look very silly to me, someone is bound to hurt themselves on them. Just trying to squeeze past the bike and catching the end of the lever would be enough. It wouldn't surprise me if there is something akin to an ADR governing the design of motorcycle brake and clutch levers, the OEM ones all follow a similar design.
  4. Mate, if you bought those levers thinking they were a good idea, perhaps you might like to rethink the whole motorbike riding concept?

Maybe crocodile wrestling might suit you better?

I'd be surprised if any tester accepted a bike fitted with them... surprised, and very disappointed.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crocodile wrestling isn't really my thing... but yes in hindsight I was not thinking of practicality. It was more of a "wow, these are cheap and look cool" type of purchase.

I shall head over to the wreckers and hopefully I can find an undamaged stock clutch lever, otherwise will head over to the dealers.
  6. Am sure you could get cheap alloy levers off ebay - just more generic styling
  7. They won't kick up a stink, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to fit those. They're some serious damage waiting to happen.

Picture this - drop bike or come off, level gets crunched on a pole/gutter/road surface and your fingers are wedged in between the blade and grip. Well don, you've just fcuked your fingers.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. That's the one good thing I can say about those levers...... they'd certainly....encourage.... the rider to use all fingers on the lever!.

The testers really like to see all four fingers being used on the brake.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. When I did my MOST (Clyde) one of the guys in my group got sent to MCAS to get a new clutch lever during the lunch break.
  10. As someone who's taken a chunk out of their thigh using a brake lever (over the handlebars, downhill mountainbike), those things don't look like something I'd want on a bike.
  11. In most motorcycle racing they specifically state that the knob must be there. I read a forum post the other day where a bloke had a exhaust pipe with a razor thin outlet and he was told to get a metal ring made upto make it 3mm.