Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MOST and AS1609 visor sticker

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cubiq4, Mar 7, 2012.

1. I've just noticed that the Shark RSI pro helmet that I bought doesn't actually have a AS-1609 sticker on the visor, there is a AS-1698 on the helmet itself however. I only bought this recently from action motorcycles in sydney city.

Reading around it seems this may not be legal, btw, there is also no standard stamped into the visor, just the warning 'not guaranteed sharterproof'.

I'll be going for my MOST test, will this be a problem?

Does anyone else have a shark RSI, should there be a sticker?

2. I got a oem shark replacement visor for one of my Sharks once and it also did not have sticker or melted in stamp.. Not sure how this effects you from a law stand point.
  3. There are many many threads on this please look for them
  4. Thanks for the reply, I've been searching for the last couple of days but have no where found if this will be a problem for the MOST test.

I'd also be interested to know how this could have been sold to me without some kind of race only warning.

If you can point me in the direction of any threads I'd be very thankful.
  5. yes there is a search function up top. Rules are the same for everyone not just the most. If it's any consolation none of my helmets ever came with a sticker on the visor, just go and do your test.
  6. None of the tinted visors come with an AS stamp as none are approved for night use.
  7. ...............................................................

AS1609 section 7 labeling

Attached Files:

8. The clear visors on the Shark Speed-R don't come with an AS1609 label either, only the AS1698 label on the helmet. Is this legal? My RHOK helmet was approved by TUV RA as well yet it holds both stickers... i'm reluctant to buy the Shark unless it holds that label (unless it's actually legal).
  9. Just take the visor off for the test - I'm sure you don't legally have to have a visor fitted.
  10. :D

In my years of experience I have never stopped anyone in NSW or QLD completing the Pre-Provisional (which includes the MOST at the end) for not having the visor with AS1609. I have stopped many that don't have the AS1698 sticker on the helmet as this is a legal requirement. I don't send them home, I just say use one of ours at no charge but go and buy a real one.

In NSW and QLD the 3 legal requirements are;
    1. A helmet with the AS1698 sticker attached
    2. The chin-strap correctly fastened
    3. The helmet must be the correct fit
    The AS1609 is recommended but as yet I am to believe this is not a legal requirement. Good luck with the riding cubiq4! Remember always protect your eyes because you need to be able to see, to ride. Cheers, Paulhart

ps. Sorry smee, this post was hurting my eyes so I had to reply :D.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1