Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

More training before moving up to a bigger bike...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Miraz, Apr 14, 2011.

1. It's not long now until I come off my P's, so my mind has been wandering and I've found myself looking at the bike classifieds for something a little bigger.

I keep coming back to the same bike though, and put down a holding deposit yesterday...will be delivered some time in early May. This will give me about 6 weeks to give it a do a little mechanical work, and deal with a few of the known issues with the new bike before I can take to the streets.

So the sensible part of the brain recognizes that I should probably line up some more rider training too....I'm just up the road from Hart in St Ives, but thought I'd poll here for feedback/recommendations too.

2. Dont ride it till your off your P's,

3. Between moving house, and overseas work commitments that isn't even an option.

I'm going to add a bike endorsement to my UK license whilst I'm over there, which will come without restrictions.

But just to make sure, the front forks will be coming out of it for some heavier springs and an overhaul...

4. Can you give us a little bit more info Miraz?

What are you coming off and what did you get?

5. I've been riding a modified GS500F - it has a GSXR1000 front end and brakes, R6 back end and a few other tweaks. It now handles well, is lightweight and easy to throw through the twisties - within the limits of the engine. I've got no plans to get rid of it, it will make a good commuter and city bike.

The new bike is a 2007 CBR1100xx which is everything that the GS isn't...big, heavy, etc...

6. Forget hart, go do a California day, ask Trent, he done his a couple of days ago and said his skills have improved by quite a fair bit

7. Holy shit, you've gone from a tug boat to the mother ship. Yeah it's going to take some adjusting to, hit up Raven for an appraisal of the bike's characteristics.

A track day is a great idea as you have heaps of room and time to learn how to move the bike around without the worry of anything oncoming. The braking is going to be very different too with the linked brakes. Other than that, the principles of riding a bike don't change enough to go and learn the basics again, just need to practice them somewhere safe until your confidence kicks in.

Have fun now :)

8. a day on a bike you can really REALLY chuck around without worrying about stacking it, ie HART course, so worth it.
    To ride the big girl like that eventually/ultimately, you are tossing around a lot of weight. won't be as intimidating if you've allready thrown around a 600.
    the courses cost a lot, but you take away so much from them and just keep working on what you learnt, invaluable. learn in a day what you would in a year of boring upright commuting, just a matter of remembering the lessons and conforming to them afterwoods, not slipping back into old habbits.

9. I think the main thing is, regardless of training, don't get on it and try anything stupid. Anyone can ride a bigger bike but get on it with the right attitude. The fact that you've asked the question and are little hesitant by the sounds of it to get on it without further training is great but isn't the answer.

You should definitely get on it and take it for a ride. Keep in mind that they will be virtually nothing a like. Just cruise around, learn how the bike handles and become comfortable with it before trying to throw it around to much.

Watch your right hand on the 1100 - you might find yourself hitting the speed limit before you even know it - it will do it in first gear without too much trouble too. ;)

Have fun and enjoy the big one. ;)

10. TBH the hardest thing to get used to with big bikes like the bird is the slower speed stuff. Once up to speed the weight matters less and less and starts to become an advantage.

Slow speed stuff like filtering, uturns, hairpins etc will be more difficult so setting up some traffic cones to practice with is a good idea. Also the linked brakes on the bird are very powerful and may take some getting used to - so practice braking too.

Another thought is that it'll take alot more physical effort to throw around, so work on your quick-steer technique.

11. +1 to conspiracytheorist.

At the end of the day, It's just another motorbike. Just ride it. It's not exactly the same, but it's similar enough that if you approach it with a little sensible caution and work up to the things you want to do in tiny careful steps, you should have no problem.

I would think the bird would be a lot heavier and less agile (talking feel here, not numbers on paper) and have a god-awful lot more stomp anywhere, anytime. I've not ridden the bird so I'm not going to comment on the linked brakes, but I know they are a beautifully balanced bike for mid to high speed cornering. I'd go out on a limb and say for a larger bloke, in mid to high speed country, they give away nothing to a sports bike. When you start talking 52kg jockies and cbr250rrs and 30km/h hairpins, things are a little different, but once into metric triple figures and people over 80kg, the blackbird is a good thing.

Do I think you need extra training? No. Take some if you like. It costs, but most people say it's worth it. You will get better with some seat time. Plan some rides where you have to ride the bike a bit, not just sit on it. Spend a few minutes every day dribbling around the little back streets of MonaVale and getting used to the way it handles in day to day situations. Find an empty corner in a car park and practice some figure eights. If it doesn't want to tip in or stay leaned over, go up a few pounds in the front tyre. A new front tyre is better than an old one. They get less effective as they wear, but they also get less effective as they age. If you don't know how old it is, consider changing it. I would think a bridgestone BT023 would work very well on a bird. It certainly works well on an FJR13.

12. Now your talking, Be very carefull till you get used to it,
    It has some awesome power,
    Especially after 7000 rpm, Make sure your hanging on tite, Hahahahahahaha

13. Its a pig under 20 klms, Make sure you are in a dead straight line when stopping, Its top heavy at slow speeds and will throw you sideways and off, Like 5 klms, You just cant hold it,
    And over you go,

But once you get up it, It handles like a brick on the road, It has no wobbles, float, weave,
    Pogo, Nothing, It goes into Missile mode and stays there,

You can get jailed and the bike confiscated and still be in first gear,
    It does 206 KPH in second, And it gets there blisteringly fast, Hahahahahaha

I wont tell you what speed I have done on mine, But it was magnificent and handled superbly,
    And there was a bit more left in it,

The only thing I slow down for are very tite hairpins, Due to the long wheelbase,

Chuck a set of Z6's or Z8's on it, Perfect for the wet slimy conditions, They dont let go,

I run 40 40 one up, 42 42 two up, Depending on your weight, Im 75 KGS wet,

Enjoy your new pleasure missile, Hahahahaha

And the linked brakes, I love them, The only time I use the rear one is coming down my drive, 1 in 3 and gravel,

Cheers,
    Brian,

14. You will get use to the weight and power pretty quick. Most people do.
    The big bird is an awesome bike and can go dam hard. They are so stable and user friendly.
    For mine practice braking till the cows come home. That's were you will find the big diff. The linked brakes are good.(not my cup of tea) But weight and kinetic energy does not wash off real easy. And the Bird has both in bucket loads.

15. Thanks for the feedback - I did spend a little time playing about with it on a nice, big, quiet, private bit of tarmac before plonking down a deposit - so it's not a total unknown handling wise.
    Still wearing the grin after that session, the turbine-smooth power is an awesome thing - brakes are effective, but lack the feel of the radial setup on the current bike, front end seemed very soft...but given that I'm around 140kg by the time I'm all geared up this was not unexpected.

I've been running the Z6 on the current bike, and have been very impressed with them....will probably give the Z8 a go next time round.

The thinking behind doing some more training is not so much based on the bike being so different, it is still a bike after all, more of a useful checkpoint to get some structured feedback on how my bad habits are developing and some pointers on what I'm missing after 12 months on two wheels.

16. Yeah, some stiffer front springs might help, and choice of oil weight and level by the guy who does the work. A new front with 42 ~ 44 psi cold in it might help too.

Many big bikes feel very weird and clumsy at walking pace. The ones that don't are the exception, not the rule. The FJR is quite exceptional here - dead easy to ride at walking pace. I've never ridden a Harley, but I'm told many of them are extremely well sorted for very slow riding.

I'm getting more used to my ZX14 now. It has a front Pure @ 42psi cold and the preload, comp & rebound all wound up a bit, and I can do full lock feet up U-turns and stuff on it now without any drama. I have spent quite a bit of time chucking it around at 20 ~ 30 in back-streets to get the feel for it, and I guess it's mostly just a case of getting accustomed to it. Like most things, it's 20% technique and 80% confidence.

17. At low speeds plan ahead, with every thing you do. It's easy to get into awwkward situations, and the weight of the bike will overwhelm you. Easily!

So at low speeds, think ahead, it can be be like riding a super tanker.

The bike is built to run at high speed with luggage or two-up, effortlessly. $1.60+.

Tight cornering is an effort, and you will learn the importance of consciously counter-steering. I have a few pics in my sig, if you navigate to the blackbird section.

The bird loves big open sweepers, or marked 80k corners at a minimum.

18. just one other thing i want to toss in here.
    someone mentioned once moving you won't notice the weight. yes true, but if you **** up your line on a bend, not so easy to correct a heavy bike. complete confidence in the machine is required.
    in a sense, small errors that you might make on a 2fiddy will be forgiven, but could severely punish you on an 1100

19. Great shots of your bird in action, makes it look easy.....thanks. :)

Sounds like I am going to need to focus on keeping the enthusiasm/talent ratio under tight control

20. Yes, but don't worry... It takes longer, but you'll be rewarded if you fully get to know the bike thoroughly :)

As said above, the bird is deceptively easy to ride, once you are 20k's and upwards...but get things all wrong, and the size and weight can catch you off guard, so unless you are out on the open road, with a bit of space where you can light-up the afterburners, always be watchfull, and definitely you MUST stay ahead of the bike.

The blackbird is honda's hayabusa, but looks 100 times better. :)
    It is'nt quite as fast, because she is an older design, but still truelly is one of the Hypersports bikes, and was built as such.