Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National More speed fixation from AustRoads

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Mar 6, 2014.

1. There's a paper just published by Austroads on Methods for Reducing Speeds on Rural Roads – Compendium of Good Practice

You'll need to register to download it (it's free) but it's a matter of some cncern.
    Below are some comments from the introduction,

reduce speeds

Road narrowing and removing sight distance at intersections FFS... While they may reduce speeds for some people, they would introduce more dangers.

This continuous speed fixation to the exclusion of other factors is getting bizarre.
  2. WTF? No truly, WTF?
  3. Wow. Just wow.

Reducing visibility and putting obstacles and distractions at intersections. Clearly they're so obsessed with speed they lost sight of the actual objective which is, or used to be, road safety.
  4. Criminal stupidity. Seriously. It's effectively speed reduction as the goal, to be be achieved by making the road more dangerous and using more crashes to achieve that goal.
    That's beyond bizarre. It's psychotic.
  5. Are there contact details for the authors?
  6. On the actual paper which you can download.
  7. I cannot actually believe anyone could get so far up their own arseholes as to believe what they are saying.
  8. Swallowing a spider to catch the fly comes to mind. Someone obviously wasn't paying enough attention in preschool.
  9. Lol narrowing roads works in urban environments.... Of course it must be a top idea. fcuk I hate city slickers.

It's truly special logic that they spend money widening roads, for safety, then people feel safe going faster, so they deliberately make the roads more dangerous to slow people.... Maybe potholes are a safety strategy? Why don't we just make all roads gravel??? These people need to look into the 85 percentile rule.
  10. I haven't read the paper but that's just bizarre. I would love to read the original request.

Severe crashes at rural intersections are a significant issue and generally they are related to lack of adequate physical upgrades (auxiliary lanes). I suspect this is an attempt to come up with a "lines and signs" (cheap) solution to the lack of investment in rural highways.

Visually narrowing (either through reducing lane widths or increasing the shy line) is effective for short distances but only if you use things that aren't going to kill. Like anything else in a specialty there are a number of different camps. I like the forgiving road sides but there are a lot more in the behavioral speed kills crowd. Most of whom live in cities and travel by plane.
  11. There's a push to reduce speed limits on country roads from 100 to 90 by a lot of safety "experts". It was tried in Tasmania but a popular revulsion meant it didn't get up. Now I suspect they are going to try to achieve the same thing by other methods.

The scary thing is that many of the things mentioned in the paper are basically untried and the results on safety unknown - and they admit this!
  12. It doesn't stop there. There's pressure from other 'experts' to reduce it to 60.
  13. Are rural intersection accidents primarily single vehicle, overshooting the intersection? I somehow doubt rear-enders are particularly common.
  14. Yeah this is just, well... They've become so single-minded that continuing to work off of all these ridiculous premises is going to increase the road toll in the longer term.
  15. Hypothetically, How much would it cost to put speed humps every 10 m on every road in Australia ?
    As long as you emphasize its for the common good, I can't see why a budget wouldn't be allocated for that, I'm sure the residents wouldn't mind paying extra in the rates for that.

Probably easier than ambushing bikers by faking injury then throwing acid on them if you want to keep them off the country roads.
  16. It could be good news for us, maybe they'll start installing twisty roads where the straight ones are :)
    Plenty of room on the hume highway to turn it into a single lane chicane fest.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. I do understand the thought process behind this. And it wouldn't be a long bow to draw to conclude trying to stop the speed is the correct move, indeed I'm not sure it isn't.

There's a t-intersection that ends a road out yonder. Distances can be covered quite quickly on this road, many kilometres per minute. The sense of speed is distorting. More than once I've approached the intersection still looking at three figures. It's certainly easy to see how intersection fatalities can occur in rural areas.
  18. Sure, for t-intersections I'm all for signs and those painted rumble strips. But while lowering visibility at the intersection itself will decrease speed, it will not increase safety.

For example, how is it safe to make a b-double have less visibility of the road it's about to enter, and also decreasing it's entrance speed?

Building slip lanes will be far more effective.
  19. Most severe accidents at rural intersections aren't single vehicle. Most fatalities in rural areas are single vehicle (off alignment) though.

Often people don't react to the presence of the intersection and aren't alert to other vehicles.

As for the speed bump/rumble strip idea - I just rejected a request for that sort of set up. The intersection actually has enhanced stop signs, fingerboards, auxiliary lanes and still the local complain. Lots of green things grown around there though.
  20. The state of disrepair on many roads is pretty well the same as speed humps...... The midland highway in tas got its speed dropped cause of the state of disrepair.... Also they extended the 90kph trial after the years findings saw accidents stay the same or go up.... I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again