Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD More speed cameras on M1

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Fractalz, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Operational as of yesterday on the Smith St overpass northbound :(

Not that it would bother me of course :whistle:

MOTORISTS can now potentially be caught speeding twice within 37km on the M1 following the installation of new speed cameras at Gaven.

A row of five cameras has been installed on the reverse side of the Smith Street overpass at Gaven, recording the speed of every northbound car.

Another bank of cameras, also hidden on the reverse side of an overpass, on the northbound lanes of the M1 at Logan has raised millions of dollars in revenue since going live in 2011.

In their first 17 days of operation the Logan cameras nabbed 11,655 speedsters and provided a massive boost to the number of speeding offences detected.

Police this afternoon advised the new cameras at Gaven would likely be operating by March.

Once they are online unwary drivers could be caught speeding twice within 25 minutes.

The Gaven cameras are in a 110km/h zone. The Logan ones are about 1km north of where the speed limit changes from 110km/h to 100km/h.

Police statistics show fixed speed cameras in the South East District issued 10,351 tickets in the 2010-11 financial year compared with a massive 131,829 in 2011-12, the year the Logan cameras became operational.

Police yesterday were unable to provide figures on how many speeding motorists had been detected but not fined by the Smith Street cameras during the trial period.
  2. If you get caught by a fixed speed camera, you really only have yourself to blame. They are the easiest of speed traps to avoid.

Save your money and licence points for something more worthwhile.
  3. Yes ... easy to avoid as they a usually sign posted ...

this new one, however, is still covert ie no signs ... so beware.
  4. Ah yes
    $peed cameras for road $afety
  5. I feel $afer already!
  6. Might be an overpopulation of saved kittens looming
  7. Was reading on the QPS FB feed the other day... ~30,000 speed tickets issued over xmas period.
    Yet fatalities were half that of last year's period..
  8. i noticed that as well, thought it was interesting since the total fatalities for the year has been increasing 2 years in a row.
  9. Oooh, you know over Christmas, I overtook at least one unmarked police car at about 22km/h over the speed limit (I'd been driving 25-40km/h over the speed limit for a couple of hours; I spotted the unmarked car when I was about 200 metres behind it and kept to non-pisstake speeds passing it). Predictably, nothing happened. I also didn't see any crashes over the Christmas period.

Most of the world is like this, just not Australia.
  10. You must be excluding those on the Mullum Mullum Tunnel and the Wellington underpass.